Author Topic: 8 week post op retro-sig  (Read 2143 times)

dukerman

8 week post op retro-sig
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:27 pm »
I was diagnosed in Jan 2014 for a 4.2 cm AN on my left.

My only symptoms pre-op were tinnitus and some hearing loss.  My wife made me go to the doctor!  Other-wise I didn't think it was a big deal. 

Anyway, the MRI showed a very large AN pushing on my brain stem.  My surgeons were actually quite surprised I showed little symptoms.

They suggested retro-sig surgery to remove due to my age (30) and the brain stem compression.  They told me I would be dead in 5 years if i did nothing.  My next symptoms would have been speech and breathing problems if I would have not gone to the doctor.

March 2014 was my surgery and expected to be 8 hours.  Surgery was uncomplicated except it was 13 hours and I lost over a liter of blood.  My tumor was very vasculated and required a lot of work due to my bleeding.  They said they got 100% of the tumor.  I have my first follow up MRI end of May to see for sure!

Post op recovery:

First hour:  I woke up in the recovery room puking into a towel.   Not fun, but they helped me a lot and I fell back asleep.  I think I was given nausea meds and I smelt this smelly thing that helped.  Some kind of nausea stick

First day: In ICU with my family.  My mouth was very dry and a wet sponge felt so good in my mouth.  My wife helped me out a lot in ICU, she would dab the small sponge in water and let me bite it.  I also had very painful pressure sores on my right side from the 13 hour surgery.

Next 4 days: In general hospital bed.  They removed bandages and was visited by people every 3-4 hours doing tests.  Lots of walking up and down the hall with my walker with help.  I bit my left side tongue bad cause I couldn't feel it while eating, only reason I knew I bit my tongue was I could taste blood.  The tongue healed.  Most frustrating thing I couldn't pee on my own yet until day 3.  They would do an ultra sound of my bladder and call the "catheter team"  I wish they would have kept the permanent catheter in longer, but didn't want me to get an infection or weaken my bladder muscles.

Day 5 discharge:  I still haven't pooped.  I was concerned.  But was given a lot of meds to help.  I didn't poop until day 9 at home.

Two weeks: still very uneasy and dizzy.  Using a walker.  No pain other than my pressure sores.

Four weeks: Walking without the walker with help of my wife's hand.

Five weeks: Walker is put away

Six weeks:  Coordination on my left hand getting better.  I still can't type or play guitar like I used to.  My pressure sores on my right side are gone.

Permanent symptoms: Uni-lateral deafness in my left ear which was expected and facial numbness on my left side.  My ENT suggested that a cochlear may not work well for me because my right ear was so good.  He said my brain may reject the cochlear and use my good right ear.

Anyway, I think recovery has been going well.  I can move my face a little bit.  Eyebrows are symmetrical and I could shut my eye.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:22:43 pm by dukerman »

Kathleen_Mc

Re: 8 week post op retro-sig
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 01:27:22 am »
dukerman: Sounds as though things are going ok, remember recovery is a slow process, my doctor told me "the tumor didn't grow to that size overnight, you won't recover overnight"..... (never did ask the measurement of mine, same situation as you within mm of brain stem and certain death looming if not removed, OR was 15 hours).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)