Author Topic: so worried and scared for my friend  (Read 1804 times)

kimmarie

so worried and scared for my friend
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:44:42 pm »
I hope its ok as its my friend who has an acoustic neuroma . cutting a very long story short she had surgery on nov 7th.The op took 14 hours and the tumour was size of an orange.ashe was in intensive care for 3 wks.She had a tracheotomy. She is still in hospital. She cant speak properly, cant swallow, barely walk, cant see properly.she has regular lumbar punctures to drain off brain fluid.She is 50 yrs old.I am going out of my mind with worry for het.No onesaid it woulf be like this what can be hhappening?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: so worried and scared for my friend
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 05:26:48 pm »
Kimmarie ~

I'm sorry to learn of your friend's horrific complications following AN surgery.  This is not normal.  Unfortunately, these kinds of complications can occur as a result of numerous factors, including the surgeon's skill (or lack thereof) and other factors that simply cannot be foreseen.  Obviously, no one, especially your friend's doctors, want this to happen. 

We're not doctors and cannot offer a cogent explanation for these issues your friend is suffering with.  You should attempt to secure an explanation from her doctors but as a non-family member, that could be problematic if they don't chose to give you an explanation.  Still, it's worth trying.  AN surgery is very challenging for the doctors and sometimes unforeseen problems arise during the operation that can put the patient in a medical crisis.  It's rare, but not unknown.  I suspect your friend is suffering from hydrocephalus and once that is controlled she may well improve.

She'll be in many thoughts and prayers, I can assure you.  Please try to keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.