Author Topic: 4 days post-op  (Read 5306 times)

Harts

4 days post-op
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:01:46 pm »
Thank you all for this forum. I have gotten so much information from those of you with experience.  My 50 year old husband had microsurgery for the removal of a large AN 4 days ago (retrosig).  He has done incredibly well considering what he has been through...He had a cardiac complication and the surgery had to be aborted 4 hours in.  The 16 hour surgery was completed the next day. The MRI showed no residual tumor! The cardiac issue was very unexpected as he is very healthy, takes no medication and has never had any cardio/pulmonary issues.

He is left with mild facial weakness but is not closing the right eyelid.  I got some Systane eye drops and Lacrilube ointment.  I wanted to see if any of you had favorites.  Also, should I make an appointment with an opthalmologist to have his eye evaluated...or is it too soon?  His eye is very irritated and he has some photophobia. 

The other major issue is that his voice is very weak.  I am not sure if he has gotten any better.  He was intubated twice of course and the surgery was pretty long.  Because of the cardiac issue (runs of V tac) he had a transesophageal echo transducer in his throat for the entire second surgery.  I am sure that this is enough to cause the voice issue but I am curious if anyone else has experienced this?  He needs his voice for work and is getting nervous about it.  I try to reassure him that it has only been 4 days (well...and 5 days)  since his surgery.  His concern is that it is a symptom of nerve damage secondary to the removal of the tumor.  He did have mass effect from the tumor which was pushing on the pons which I believe is the origin of the laryngeal nerve.

Any thought are greatly appreciated...and again thanks for the cyber support!

Kaybo

Re: 4 days post-op
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:25:14 pm »
Hi Harts & Welcome!!

I can answer to the eye issue.  I am 15 years out & have total facial paralysis on the right side and I have used Refresh PM now - I can get away with once in the morning and before i go to bed.  I also sqeeze some in if it gets red during the day.  I have tried other things, but this works the best for me.  It does distort your vision but you MUST protect your cornea (I know - I had my eye sewn shut for 3 months b/c it was so scratched!).  I, personally, do not thin that it is EVER too soon or wrong to see an eye Dr!!

Good luck & don't be a stranger here...ask away - that is why we are here!
I'm sure someone else will be along soon to answer your other questions!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 07:42:41 pm »
Hi Harts!

Glad your husband is doing well!  It's perfectly natural to have a weak voice and incredibly sore throat after surgery, especially 2 surgeries in 2 days!  I would tell him not to worry too much about it at this point.  Chances are it will get better in time.  I had the same problem after every surgery I've ever had and it got better.  He just went through the wringer a couple of times - he's still got a lot of healing to do.

I would ask the doctor if he suggests an opthalmologist at this point.  Like Kay said, make sure to keep the eye lubricated.  Lacrilube is great stuff - that's what I used in the beginning but now use Refresh PM at night and Optive or Theratears drops as needed during the day.

I hope your husband continues to progress!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Harts

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:30:28 am »
Thank you both for your suggestions and for your support.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:50:45 am »
Harts, I am glad your husband has had a successful surgery with no sign of residual tumor. I am sorry to read they had to go in twice. I agree with Lori that it is probably too soon to get wound up about the voice issue. If it continues beyond a couple of weeks, I am sure the doctors will want to snake a tube in the nose and down to look at vocal cord function. If vocal cord paralysis is a factor, there are things that can be done.

There are a few of us on the forum with vocal cord issues. In my case,  my surgery was 31.5 hours and I was intubated for six days and my tumor was large enough in the wrong places that there was a fair amount of nerve trauma and stretching. Despite that, it has been a very good year, and I have been either to work around my voice issues or just have take more time when I speak.

Again though, at four days out, it is too early to worry about anything without a doctor telling you that your husband has a problem. Your husband just had brain surgery...a little rest is in order for both of you.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

moe

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:02:18 am »
Harts,
Welcome to the forum. :) Your husband has indeed been through the wringer, and I would say at 4-5 days post op is doing MARVELOUS!
Great advice from previous posts on eye issues.

My guess is the voice thing is just trauma from being intubated twice, but we're not docs here, so ask his doc at the follow up. My tumor was also pressing the pons- no voice issues from my 11 hour surgery.

Continue to post here on your husband's recovery. We care and the recovery can be tricky if one over does it. He had brain surgery (twice) and it takes up to 6-8 weeks, shorter or longer depending on the person.

Rest, walking, drinking lots of fluids, and watch the complete bending over at the waist (that's a no no immediately post op- if he can do it of course!) May contribute to post op headaches.

Where was your husband's surgery?
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Harts

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:36:24 pm »
Thank you again.  I can not tell you how much it means to have the support of people who have been through the AN fiasco. I am a nurse practitioner in the Emergency Room and our daughter was born with a very rare syndrome and she is legally blind and severely hearing impaired. she has facial nerve palsy and balance incoordination.  She has a BAHA and has been telling my husband that she will "teach" him how to hear again.  Despite my professional and personal experience, AN is rare enough that I have had to study up on the anatomy, etiology, effects of surgery ...etc.  When it comes to the personal side of AN, I have found that this board is a precious wealth of knowledge. 

My husband had surgery at St. Vincent Hospital in Portland, Or.  I know this may come as a surprise considering Oregon Health Sciences University is so close. My daughter's surgeon is there.  My husband's otologist is Dr Harold Kim...neurologist is Dr P. Gore.  Both are very impressive individuals with significant experience at AN resection.  I considered taking him to House/Ear. My nephew had a cochlear implant there years ago . Coincidentally, he also has a very rare congenital birth defect and is profoundly deaf. Also has facial nerve issues... that is another story.  We were so impressed after meeting Dr Kim (who studied at HEI) that we decided he (and Dr. Gore) were the ones.  Obviously talented and smart...but they both have incredible bedside mannor.  They were very straight forward but spent considerable time with us making sure that we understood and were comfortable with the process.  They were even OK with my "educated" line of questioning...(e.g. what percentage of your patients have had a House-Brackman score of 3 or higher after surgery?)
When he is able to read, I know this website will be a great resource for him.  Right now, even the light from the computer causes too much irritation to the right eye.

moe

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:12:00 pm »
Great~ thanks for that added info :)
There is a wonderful support group in Portland, if you and/or your husband feel so inclined. Sounds like he has a lot of support at home! Interesting about your daughter's health issues.
Wonder if they are genetically connected in any way ???
Anyway, continued gentle healing wishes going your way :)
Moe
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Harts

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:19:02 pm »
When he is feeling better will have him check into the local support group.  No connection with my daughter...she is mine from a previous marriage   ;)

Brewers7

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:21:56 am »
Sounds like your husband is doing great.  I have vocal cord paralysis, but I would think that 4 days post op is too soon to be concerned.  As Tod mentioned, they can do a scope to diagnose at the appropriate time.  Mine was very noticeable in that I could only speak in a whisper.  Again, it doesn't sound like your husband's situation.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 05:06:03 pm »
I hope your husband is doing better with his throat issues. As for his eye, my favorite moisturizers are Systane Nighttime lubricant, and TheraTears drops. I can only use the ones without preservatives because of burning.
Allison
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin