Author Topic: Patulous Eustachian Tube after Radiation  (Read 3578 times)

patt

Patulous Eustachian Tube after Radiation
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:23:56 pm »
Hi ---
      I have to share and wonder if any of you have experienced PET, which is a Patulous Eustachian Tube.    I completed 30 treatments of radiation in June 2010.  A repeat MRI three months after treatment showed a slight decrease.   I started to have some new symptoms last month in my AN ear.  Echoing in my ear --- I can hear my swallowing, talking, breathing and heartbeat.   I saw my Radiation Dr and my ENT Dr.  Repeat MRI showed  --- no change since Oct.  We both were hoping that we would see change this time --- it has been 7 months since my last treatment.   Hearing test showed no change.
       When I get up in the morning, I am fine.   After 2-3 hours, the sound in my ear changes to the echoing noises.  It is very annoying.   ENT told me it was PET  --- the eustachian tube does close when it is suppose to.    If I lay down on the couch for about 45 mins, it will clear up for the rest of the day.    They "think" that it maybe a side effect from radiation.
        Have any of you experienced this after RADIATION??   Can we ever get this "THING" out of our head??   I think about it when I get up --- during the day --- and when I go to bed.    I have to say that it is one of the worse things a person can get.  You never know when something is going to turn up and changes are going to happen.
        Hope some of you can give me some feedback.   Don't get me wrong --- I am very satisfied with my treatment  -- 30 radiation treatments.  I only wish that the side effects would stop and when I have a repeat MRI that they would say it is "smaller".   I will just keep thinking positive  --- one day that will happen.
         At what time frame --- months after treatment --- did you see a decrease in your tumor on your MRI?

Patt from Minnesota
Patt  - age 63
Diagnosed - 3/22/2010  -- sudden hearing loss Rt ear
Right ear -- 2.7cm
Left ear -- limited hearing
Will be having "FSR" 
Starting date is June 1st, 2010
30 treatments  --  6 sites
July 12, 2010 -- Completed "FSR" treatments
Oct 2010 - MRI -Slight decrease in size

allisjbh

• facebook
Re: Patulous Eustachian Tube after Radiation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:25:11 pm »
Patt - So sorry you are having the echoing problems - maybe they will diminish soon. I didn't have the radiation treatment, but I hope you have great results.
Allison
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin