Author Topic: New Patient  (Read 3120 times)

heusch

New Patient
« on: May 07, 2009, 08:38:33 am »
I have recently be diag. and live in Fort Myers Florida looking for some doctor refer .I am going to see a Dr. Fred  ::) Telischi at the University of Miami Miller hosp. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: New Patient
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:43:50 am »
Heusch:

I can't offer any doctor recommendations because I don't live in Florida but many of our members do, and I know they'll be happy to provide some recommendations for you.  I just wanted to welcome you and offer my regret that you were diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma but advise you that they are not only benign but very treatable.  Don't panic but do try to stay positive.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:12:24 am »
Hi heusch:  I had surgery with Drs. Telischi/Morcos at Univ. of Miami.  I unfortunately ended up with facial paralysis,  but my tumor had been growing for ~ 20 years, my facial nerve was 'eaten up' by the tumor.   I have met other patients who had surgery with them & you would never know they had an AN,  no post op problems except balance issues, which do improve.
A friend of mine recently returned to work after having a brain tumor removed by Dr. Morcos,  no problems.
I was not happy with the nurses/care at Jackson, but I've heard things have improved since 2006 & I've heard from others who were very happy with the care they received.
You may want to also look into North Florida, I think some had been to Gainsville (Univ. of Florida) & were really happy with their results.
Best wishes,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:37:05 am »
Hi heusch and welcome. Good to have you here.

Can you please elaborate about your AN situation?  Size? Location? Symptoms? That way, maybe we can help you further. I know of some great work going on in Tampa and many AN patients here that are based in FL.  Nancy also makes a great recommendation in Gainesville as I've also heard of good stuff going on there.

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:43:40 am »
Hi Heusch -

I'm in Illinois, but I know that both Ernie (EJTampa) and Adrian had their surgeries with Dr. Bartels @ Tampa General.  Adrian's was a little over a year ago and Ernie's was a few months ago. 

I'm kind of geographically challenged, so I'm not sure how far Tampa is from Miami, but if the distance isn't too great, you might want to schedule a consult with Dr. Bartels.

Welcome to the forum.  Please don't hesitate to ask us anything - that's one of the things we're here for  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:58:44 am »
A friend of mine's mom went to
Dr. Bartel
web site...
http://www.tampabayhearing.com

02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:58:02 am »
Yep, I had surgery March 5th this year with Dr. Bartels.  I had an awesome outcome.  I'm pretty much SSD, but the tumor was stuck badly where the hearing nerve encounters the boney structures of the ear, so it was that or leave part of the tumor behind.  I have to tell you, I was home the DAY AFTER surgery.  Yep, surgery Thursday morning, home Friday evening.  Dr. Bartels and Danner are amazing.  They come highly recommended by me.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

LOIS

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:40:44 pm »
 Hi Heusch,

Just wanted to welcome you and tell you I also had surgery with Dr. Bartels in Tampa.  He is a great Dr.  He removed the whole tumor.  He is very up front about everything, does not try to sugar coat it.  I had some issues right after surgery but not because of him.  I was very adament about the facial nerve not being cut and I dont have any problems there.  He is a very caring Dr.  I know my primary drs. son also had surgery with him which says a lot.

Lois

Diagnosed 07/08   1.2 x 1.1 cm. left AN Retosigmoid surgery 08/08 with Dr. Bartels  @ Tampa General Hospital

Vivian B.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:18:39 am »
Hi Heusch,

I can't provide you with any information regarding doctors in Florida as I am from Canada, but as you can see there are many people in the forum with knowledge about doctors in your area. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and to let you know that you will find a lot of support here.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 07:24:00 am »
Hi Heusch ....

It looks like you already have many good responses to your question about Florida doctors.  Cannot help any more there but I did want to add that please continue to check this Forum for any questions you may have.  The posters on here are awesome people who are kind and caring ..... and full of many good personal stories.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011