Author Topic: surgery next week  (Read 8327 times)

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
Re: surgery next week
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 04:45:41 pm »
Maria,

Best of luck with your surgery next week.  I also have two small children (3 and 6).  My 6-year old has overheard a few discussions, so I just explained to her that I have a "hurtie" in my ear and I will be going to the doctor to talk about how to fix it.  She was satisfied with that explanation.  When it comes time for my surgery (not 100% sure, but I'm heavily leaning that way), I plan to just follow up on that and tell her that they are removing the "hurtie" so that I will feel better.  I think the important thing is to try to be honest, but with an age appropriate explanation that isn't too scary.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.  I don't blame you for being nervous, but us Mothers are a tough breed and I know you can do it.  You will do fantastically well, and then you'll have some relief from your terrible face pain and get back to a normal life.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Kiwi Don

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 04:54:05 pm »
Hey Maria,
All the best for Wednesday, I hope all goes well and look forward to the report on the "Postie" side.
Thoughts and prayers from afar

Don
24July09 Diagnoised with Left AN 2.0cm x 1.9cm
Translab Scheduled 7April10

"Received the Ticket, Boarded the Train, and now the Journey has begun??"

mll

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 09:04:28 pm »
Thanks for the list.  I think I have just about everything I need and I'm almost ready to go.  The waiting is the worst part I think. Tomorrow is my pre-op so I will keep you guys posted.

mll

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 01:20:49 am »
Good luck, Maria. I'm betting surgery will nail the trigeminal neuralgia thing and that your outcome will be good. We like to say that the first three days don't count, so don't worry if you feel lousy the day after surgery. Day 4 will be much better. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cyrmom2

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47:31 am »
Maria, hope your pre op went well today.  Best wishes for a successful surgery and super easy recovery.  My hospital stay was very easy, especially the 24 hours in ICU - I loved that place!  Warm blankets, great pain medication, quiet room and wonderful nurses. 

My mom came the week before my surgery and stayed for three additional weeks to help with the kids, our six cats, two dogs and my husband. The kids love her but they were both a little weepy after two days without seeing mommy.  They could not visit me in the hospital so I met them gift shop and let them pick out something special. They ended up buying stuffed animals and naming them after my surgeons - Welling the raccoon, and Chiocca the dragon.

Cyndi

diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

mll

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 03:01:43 pm »
Hi everyone.  Thanks for all of your well wishes. My pre-op went well and I am ready to go.  I'm feeling much better and am having a relaxing day with my family.  I'm off to have my last meal out but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your support and kindness.  Oh and DR good luck I wil pray for you.

mll

wendysig

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 07:47:43 am »
Maria,

I thought I'd add myself to the list of well wishers.  I hope your surgery relieves your pain and also goes well in every other way.  May your recovery be quick and uncomplicated.  Please keep us posted.

Sending positive vibes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!