Author Topic: 1 year follow-up MRI report -- I might have a schwannoma on the other side??  (Read 10304 times)

Dealy

Re: 1 year follow-up MRI report -- I might have a schwannoma on the other side??
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 04:50:40 am »
Nancy- At my 6 month MRI a radiologist said that I had evidence of a recurrence of my left AN that was surgically removed 18 years ago You talk about being freaked out. Well it turned out to be fat packing that they done. My 9 and one year MRI-now they are saying that the left is fine_Thank God. So I know your anguish. I cannot understand why these people who read these reports don't realize what they are doing too a person. Thank God for the confirmed report that it was fat packing for you. Kippy Six- Hope you have same results and you do not have another AN> I am an NF2 so I know what that is like -No Fun. You all have a good day-and take time too smell some roses of life. Thanks-Ron

kippy6

Re: 1 year follow-up MRI report -- I might have a schwannoma on the other side??
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 08:00:38 pm »
Hi Dealy - thanks for your positive words! When did you find out you had NF2?

My original AN was on my RIGHT side. On my recent 1-year post-op MRI, the radiologist found a spot on my LEFT side (see previous post). I'm still wondering if these spots can turn into something or will it just stay a spot?? It is in the correct location for an AN or FN (facial neuroma), but according to my surgeon, it doesn't look like one, even though it does show some enhancement. I totally trust my surgeon, and he says it is just a spot, and not a big deal. It's not an AN or FN (facial neuroma).

However, do you know of anyone who had a "spot" which later turned into an AN or FN? (I've been having some ringing in my left ear, which is new. Started a few months ago.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:06:45 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Dealy

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 05:22:09 am »
Kippy-6. My first AN was 1.5CM in 1988-Surgically removed-was told it was isolated case so I never had an MRI ever. Face went numb at work one day in 2005. Only hearing loss before was in upper frequencies with no ear ringing what so ever. The tumor had grown too 2.4 or 2.5CM. As for your situation-Depending on your age-ringing in the ears can be caused by medication or age. My wife has ringing of both ears and popping but she is on Thyroid medication. Hardly think she has an AN. I cannot give you any input other than too continue to monitor this so called spot. If it is a tumor I am sure it would show growth sooner or later. I sure hope for your sake this is not the case-but if bye some chance it would be-it was caught at a very very small stage. Let's hope this is not the case and it was just a misread of something else. Sorry-this is all the advice I can give. Giod Bless-Take Time to Smell Life's Daily Roses. Thanks-Ron

route66

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 12:21:55 pm »
Hi Kippy6-

I understand your concern about this (I would feel exactly like you too ), but I would also have great trust in Dr. B's reading of the MRI since he has done so many (including NF2 patients).  I am sending encouraging thoughts and prayers to you all the way from L.A.

Route66

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 08:05:25 pm »
Kippy,

Route 66 is right. Dr Brackmann knows his stuff. I had all sort of opinions on my atypical AN. Even though I did not go with Dr. Brackmann as my surgeon (I chose one of his former fellows -who BTW was just great) - Dr. Brackmann's ‘prediction’ of my tumor cytology was the most bang on.

If we had taken a wager pool with all 9 surgeons, I consulted and shared the MRI with, as to what the tumor really was – he would have won the pool.

Trust me old Grandpa Brackmann knows his stuff… he seems to read those MRI’s like a crystal ball. If he thinks it’s a spot – I’ll bet on it that he is bang on… and it’s a spot.

:)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

kippy6

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 08:55:44 pm »
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

After your first AN is surgically removed, there's nothing like a "spot" (and the radiologist mistakingly making reference to a facial neuroma in the report) to get you thinking at 1000 miles a minute. Most of the time I don't think about it, but then, maybe once every 2 weeks, all of a sudden I'm thinking I really do have NF2, and then I'm wondering which of my kids have it too. All of a sudden they're being evaluated by their mom --- tennis star (yes) (no), soccer player (yes) (no), ... potential brain tumor (yes) (no)... predicting which ones will have what.

My heart goes out to all of the NF2 people. I met some people with NF2 in Los Angeles, and the ones I met were awesome people.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:08:53 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute