Author Topic: 1 year follow up MRI and other things...  (Read 1857 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
1 year follow up MRI and other things...
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:53:40 am »
Hello all...A couple of weeks ago I celebrated my first anniversary of my surgery. I gave a pretty detailed account of how I am doing in that thread, but I had mentioned my appointment wasn't until the 22nd. Well, I had an MRI done (My first since my surgery) and it came back clean (yayyyy!) So then I talked to my doctor about getting some kind of hearing aid.  I redid my hearing test and it was pretty much unchanged, word discrim is at 56% and still no good at high freq's.  I was thinking along the lines of just a regular type of hearing aid, but he right at the beginning said BAHA...I guess I was kind of taken back on that, because I always associated BAHA's with SSD, which I am not.  Anyways, he said I could test a regular hearing aid out, but pointed out that all the gobbledygook that my brain is receiving is going to be LOUD gobbledygook with a hearing aid.  And with that he had me try the demo thing that's wired and I could hearing 100%. Sooooooo, I guess I'm gonna get a BAHA...pending insurance of course.  Like I said before, I always thought BAHA's were for SSD...has anyone out there gotten a BAHA with some serviceable hearing? Anyways...now I gotta get my head wrapped around this fact, so eventually I'll get used to that idea.  I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Stay safe if you are traveling!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: 1 year follow up MRI and other things...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:38:53 am »
Hi Jay:  great news on the clean MRI - WHOO HOO !!  As far as the hearing aid, I can't help you there.   I do have SSD but decided not to go with any hearing devices - I've just gotten use to it.  Best wishes,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Mark241

Re: 1 year follow up MRI and other things...
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:42:02 am »
Hey Jey, great that the MRI went well, I also am going to look into the BAHA, I was just putting it off untill I was felling up to dealing with yet another surgery. From the posts I have read on it, "Sounds'" like it has been wonderful for those who have it.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w