Author Topic: Sharp shooting pain behind ear  (Read 5117 times)

mk

Sharp shooting pain behind ear
« on: September 30, 2010, 06:26:04 pm »
Has anyone experienced this?  Yesterday I had sharp shooting pains behind the ear, almost at the base of the skull. They only lasted for a moment, but were quite intense. I have experienced this occasionally post-GK, but never with such frequency. They lasted the entire day yesterday, but were pretty much gone today.
Any ideas what could be causing this? I don't think it can be trigeminal, as it originates towards the back of the head.

Any input is appreciated.
Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Lizard

Re: Sharp shooting pain behind ear
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 10:48:57 am »
Sounds like nerve pain, but not sure other than that.  I do get this behind the hear, but its from my suboccipital surgery point where the occipital nerve was damaged. 
You could check with your neuro or call a neurologist if it persists.

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
Re: Sharp shooting pain behind ear
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 12:06:29 pm »
Marianna,

I too experience the same type of pain, and I have concluded it is nerve pain.  Since I have been on Lyrica that area has settled down a bit. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games