Author Topic: How many of you have autimmune diseases and ANs?  (Read 11565 times)

okiesandy

How many of you have autimmune diseases and ANs?
« on: February 04, 2006, 01:07:22 am »
I am a little curious. I have autoimmune inner ear disease and cochular hydrops (a form of Meniers). In reading some of the posts I am amazed at how many people have autoimmune realted problems along with the acoustic neuroma's.

Just wondering how many and what kind some of you have?

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

dpericoni

Re: How many of you have autimmune diseases and ANs?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 10:56:13 am »
I don't have an autoimmune disease but both my parents did.

Darlene
5mm by 8mm
middle fossa
left side deafness
House

vcschaub

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:49:52 am »
I was found to have elevated platelet levels 4 years ago. After many tests to rule out things llike rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, etc it was determined that it was due to non specific inflamation that was the result of an autoimmune reaction. My AN was discovered 2 1/2 years later. Don't know the connection.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

rezski

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 04:35:48 pm »
I have Crohn's but has anyone studied if the incidence of AN's is any different in the autoimmune vs the general population? Or vice versa if the AN population has a differing % of those with an autoimmune condition than the general population.
1.2 x .6 cm rt side AN diagnosed July 2005
Watching and waiting - not growing for now...Patient of Dr. Backous @ Virginia Mason
2012 8 x 5 mm @ Group Health - still WW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 06:16:41 pm »
I think I can the count the days I have been out sick of my job of 10 years on one hand .. I get sick about once a year, and most years its just the sniffles for a few days .. then came the AN,  and I was out for 8 weeks ...  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

okiesandy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 09:23:57 am »
Joe,

I never had a cold or the flu.  never missed work. My PCP told me I must have a remarkable immune system.

I just woke up one morning with fullness in my right ear and off balance. Not vertigo. My husband took me to ER. They said vertigo. I lost all hearing in my left ear three days later. Thats right, the left ear. That is when they did the MRI and found the AN.  Three months later I started loosing the hearing in my right ear. Took tests for autoimmune inner ear disease. Came back positive. Last week I was also diagnosed with a form of Menier's disease. Also thougt to be connected with autoimmunity.

Over the past few month's I have talked to several ANer's that have other forms of autoimmune diseases. Dr. Derybery with HEI may be doing a study and I think a doctor in chicago has suggested it.  I am going to try to find out more.

Just Looking for information. I know not everone with an AN has auttoimmune. However, thrire are a lot. Several have Chronic fatigue Syndrome.
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 11:05:15 am »

I would say I had "Chronic fatigue  Syndrome" Pre Op .. in the final days before the Op .. I could do almost nothing .. and it came on me fast .. I ordered 10 yards of mulch for the garden at the end of June .. after a couple of weeks ..I could not move it .. after 2 shovels to move some mulch in the driveway, I had to go inside and rest  :o
  After the Op.. I needed the rest so left it there .. and by the time I had the energy to move it.. it was frozen! and it still sits there! I cant wait for spring to spead it, do other yard work I could not do, go fishing again, the the last few months I've gained most of my stanima back !!!!  ;D .. if get my facial muscles back , life will be perfect again !

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 04:12:05 pm »
Although slightly overweight (I'm being generous when i say slightly), I was fit as a fiddle  pre discovery of my AN. I was very active, played golf every week, did the hard yards in the garden and worked liked a donkey. Post op (middle fossa), i can't complete 9 holes in golf, mowing a small lawn is enough and generally struggle. i do walk most nights (40 minutes) but find that my energy levels are sapped even 3.5 years post op. Just wondering if something else is going on inside me? After my experiences with my op, I'm not to keen on being poked and prodded.

Maybe a chunk of it is mind set - stress (with re-growth), teenage daughter issues - that's enough to give anyone an AN!!!

I do seem to be able to do more than i could a year ago but my biggest issue is concentration span at work. Oh well, I'm interested to hear other thoughts in this thread.
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Cathyb

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 05:36:41 pm »
I have just had an appointment with an ENT on Friday and go tomorrow for an MRI to see if I have acoustic neuroma.  The ENT thinks that based on the results of the Audio test results and my symptoms that I do.

I do have several autoimmune disorders.  I have Lupus, Sojourens, Thyroid problems and even though I am not overweight severe diabetes.  I was just put on the insulin pump within the last six months.

Not sure if there is any relation but I am wondering.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 08:21:49 am »
Was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia (the dr's are guessing it's secondary to my other medical issues) but they did find my autoimmune system isn't right (they tested for Lyme, Lupus, etc)... My anti-ANA are high yet, my anti-DNA is normal.  I've also now become very suseptible to colds and such.
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sally

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 11:35:59 am »
I've got MS, but have not been on any treatment yet.  Thankfully, most of my symptoms are sensory plus fatigue.  I was told in Sept. that the MRI that found the AN showed the MS lesions were stable.  The neurologist I saw in Oct. said that right now I've got bigger fish to fry (with the AN) and he'll see me in a year unless things change.

okiesandy

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 04:37:42 pm »
Just an update on the autoimmune subject. Like Phyl my my Anti-ANA was positve and the Anti-DNA is negitive. My haearing continues to fluctuate in my only hearing ear. I have an appointment with a Rhumatologist this week I am going to pose this question to him. I have found 3 AN people that have MS siblings. Several others that have siblings and parents with autoimmune diseases.

My neighbor has Lupus and is now losing hearing in one ear. She is going to have an MRI done next month.

I am still researching this. I am very interested in his subject. I would like to forward responses to a couple of doctors that are interested in this.

sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 04:58:21 pm »
I have Type 2 Diabetes, which I guess is not an autoimmune disease, which Type I Diabetes is. I have osteoarthritis, which is "wear and tear" arthritis, however I was told once that I have an "inflammatory" type of arthritis too, but not RA.  I have a Doctors appointment tomorrow with my GP and I was going to ask him if he would run the blood tests for arthritis to rule out RA.  Thats it for me.
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

amymeri

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 08:00:43 pm »
I have elevated ANA, slightly elevated sjogrens levels, slightly elev. rheumatoid factor but everything else okay. 

Interestingly, I read somewhere that people with autoimmune are less likely to have brain tumors...yeah, right.... ::)
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 08:25:38 pm »
Interesting...I was told for years I had lupus, to all sorts of things.  Testing never indicated the problem.  I was also told I was type 2 diabetic.  Gained a lot of weight fast then got hit with the AN.  The weights not budging but the diabetes is gone!