Author Topic: loss of Balance after surgery  (Read 13562 times)

luv2teachsped

loss of Balance after surgery
« on: September 26, 2006, 08:37:32 pm »
Hi-
        I haven't posted in a while.  I recently had a 2 level lumbar fusion and as I am recovering I am noticing more and more that I am losing my balance easily.  Nothing major like falling, but simply having to take an extra step to regain my balance.  Anyone still experiencing balance problems? I am a year post op trans-lab. Thanks!luv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Boppie

Re: loss of Balance after surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:08:27 pm »
Hi, I am 10 months post op and no longer using specific balance exercises.  I just do all of the things I did pre op now.  However, I often tip or jog to the side a bit when gardening and bending and lifting things.  I do very very badly in the dark and semi dark.  When I move fast in the lawn I plod with my feet and can't weed the garden on a slope without hanging onto branches and stuff.  I don't care, its just me, and I am just fine to be doing my life stuff.  Most days my husband and I have a laugh about my balance. 

Luvtoteach, your recent lumbar fusion and pain killers would be a good reason to again have some temporary balance issues.  Your muscles need a little more time to recouperate.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:54:07 pm »
luv2teachsped: I would agree that the increased balance issue could be related to your recovery from the spinal surgery and/or related medications or general fatigue. I remain with some balance issue's and walk like a sailor just come ashore some days and this hasn't changed over the last....maybe 15/16 years . Try getting a little extra rest (maybe your pushing your recovery) and slowing down, if you had physio. to do with balance maybe return to the exercises.
Best wishes for recovery from this
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 06:39:57 am »
With the loss of the balance nerve on one side, it's a matter of "use it or lose it." I rently had elbow surgery and was laid up for a couiple weeks and noticed my balance function was off.  The training of your other systems to compensate is like the training of an athlete or dancer--when they take time off, they become out of shape and it doesn't take long to lose ability. I find simple walking to be a good balance retrainer, and walking on a treadmill, on a slight incline to be the best retrainer.  Also you can use the hand holds to practice head turns.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

luv2teachsped

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 09:19:50 pm »
Thanks everyone! 
          Yes, I basically "tip"  when changing direction, getting up etc...I am not on any medications other than Lyrica for the nerves in my legs, but it could very well be part of the recovery. I am pushing to go back to work, 2 summers "in recovery" in a row, has put 10+ pounds on, and I'm going stir crazy!!  Thanks again guys!  Luv2teach ;D
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 03:28:05 pm »
when I'm tired I tip more...I'm a year out too.  As our fearless Captn' says...use it or lose it....I do know when I haven't challenged myself enough I'm more prone to cow tipping   :D