Author Topic: My Story  (Read 2155 times)

Chartwurks53

My Story
« on: October 24, 2005, 03:59:09 pm »
I wanted to take a moment and share my AN story.  I was diagnosed with a 1.5cm benign AN in my left ear in April of this year.  Needless to say I had never heard of any such thing.  I am 53 year old woman who lives in California and I initially thought my hearing loss was due to age.  Upon hearing my diagnosis I was dumbstruck and quite anxious. The MRI confirmed what my primary physician suspected.  I surfed the internet and believe you me gang; information overload abounds. I truly had to exhale for a moment because the information available is serious, guarded and more often than not grave. Yet, I must interject here that your story may or may not be or include all that you read, research or hear about. I moved forward and did my homework and I was referred to the House Clinic for assessment. The House Clinic has a marvelous worldwide reputation and they are expert in this treatment millieu.

I met with Dr. Rick Friedman,MD, Phd and his team; they clearly and frankly discussed all surgical options including alternatives that are out there.  Dr. Friedman was kind enough to provide me with an article that he had recently written for journal submission regarding the surgical approach that he recommended for me which was the Translab approach. I came to terms with needing surgery and a date was scheduled.

Here is where my story unfolds.  I was in ICU for one day, without post-op nausea.  The ICU nursing staff are oustanding at St. Vincents Medical Center; I was transferred to the 6th floor. I was up and about and discharged from there in two days.   I was on medical leave for 6 weeks.  I was able to drive within the 3rd week.

Forty three days later - My hair is growing back and it nicely covers the surgical scar. My post op status is: total hearing loss in my left ear; some sensory loss of taste; and light vertigo when I get fatigued.

I have found that having a faith in God, prayer, a support network and a positive attitude is an important component to this experience.  Should you not embrace a faith system then I encourage you to have hope.  Hope that you will make it.  When I say make it I believe I mean having the understanding that you are greater than the sum of your parts.  You can mourn the losses but it doesn't deminish who you essentially are. There are and will be some struggles but hope can strengthen when the body and heart say I can't continue.  Hope says you can and will. 

Thanks to this WEB site for encouraging souls who are willing to be transparent and open their hearts and experience.

If this encourages someone - I will feel that I have given back a little.

Thank you,

Jan

Desilu

Re: My Story
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 04:56:58 pm »
Hi Jan, Good story. I believe we have to give back. Especially if we have a success story. Most people that have successful surgeries are no longer with the forum. We need to continue to encourage one another. I hope your story will help other AN patients. I personally feel that prayer helped in my positive outcome. Thanks for the positive post! Ann

HEI July 26, 2005
5mm x 8mm Left AN
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger
Middle Fossa
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

David707

Re: My Story
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 06:59:46 pm »
Hi Jan,

Congratulation!  So glad to hear another successful story in this forum. 

I agree with you and Desilu that we have to give back.  This forum had help me a lot when I was preparing for my own case.  I also share your viewpoint that having faith in God and/or having hope palys a key role in the situation that we have gone through.

Again, I am so glad to see another successful story on this forum.  Thank you for sharing with us.

David(707)
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !