Author Topic: Delicate subject folks.. please keep within site guidelines, ok? Thanks!  (Read 13893 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Laci Lebeau Tea--available at health food stores--a cup before bed every night!  It has senna in it which helps relax you and your innards!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
I thought flax was supposed to be a good remedy for constipation. Flax seeds contain 12% mucilage, which makes it a gentle, natural laxative. Saw that on-line.  Make sure you drink lots of water however.

Also, I've heard that if you have a handful of sugerless candy, the artificial sweetner is a laxative and can help (or hinder, if you don't need any extra help!) with that problem also. My aunt had some of the sugarfree ice cream that we buy, the Dryers Triple Chocolate with Splenda. Well! She won't be having any of that again as she is the sensitive type and it about did her in. I don't have that extreme reaction as the ice cream doesn't bother me. I have dried prunes on hand. I like the taste of the dried prunes, so that's not an issue. I also use Fiber One cereal and really good whole grain bread. As a diabetic I've learned to add a lot of fiber to my diet.  I forget to keep drinking the water, however.  I need to just keep a glass of water around, with a little lemon. Auntie uses a natural fiber laxative - one of those powder things. As human beings, we all, at some point in time and for various reasons, will have trouble "evacuating our bowels", otherwise we wouldn't have all those products on the pharmacy shelves!  A natrual approach is the best way, unless you have a really severe blockage.  I think this is a great subject to have on here and for people to be mindful of this before they get to treatment. I never even thought of this in regards to AN treatments, until I saw it on here.  This is just as important as any other health question. And if a person is in the throes of a major constipation issue, this will be the MOST IMPORTANT issue until it is resolved.  Hey, if Oprah can have a show about poop, we should be able to also! 

I worked in a small pharmacy/gift store on the Oregon Coast once, and I wondered one time what Aliens from another planet would think of Humans if they just had a drug store to study our species.  Wonder what they would come up with.   :D
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

Sue you're right with the sugar free thing..I know on the sugar free licorace it tells you what it can/may do to your system.  I do ok with splenda it's the maltose I think that does me in...leave the room immediately do not pass go you might want to pick up your gas mask on the way out!  TMI TMI  :-[ :-[ ;D ;D

I thought flax was good for your brain and nerves to?  Do you know?  I know I read that it's advisable to take after brain surgery just didn't know why.  I know it's a good supplement if you have diabetes.  So is cinnamon too!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Sue you're right with the sugar free thing..I know on the sugar free licorace it tells you what it can/may do to your system.  I do ok with splenda it's the maltose I think that does me in...leave the room immediately do not pass go you might want to pick up your gas mask on the way out!  TMI TMI  :-[ :-[ ;D ;D

I thought flax was good for your brain and nerves to?  Do you know?  I know I read that it's advisable to take after brain surgery just didn't know why.  I know it's a good supplement if you have diabetes.  So is cinnamon too!

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted that. Splenda doesn't do it, it's the Sorbitol, at least in the ice cream.  I thought about getting flax seed oil, but keep forgetting to pick it up.  I think it's good for arthritis too.  I just heard that cinnamon is effective for blood sugar control if taken in tablet form. I didn't even know that they had cinnamon tablets, but I googled that and found that, yes, there are cinnamon tablets.  Guess I'll look for that next time I'm at the store.  I'll go and put it on the list!
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Yes, Maltitol bad, very bad   :P  I've stopped eating it.  If I have people caring for me post surgery, I will not be using that....I think I'll stick to the prunes.  I do fine on Splenda...it's good. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

I love splenda...have a killer cheesecake recipe for them!

Sue I have cinnamon in tablets which I got from wal mart.  They are very inexpensive and in studies are suppose to lower your blood sugar levels by 26%.  I started taking them and my sugars lowered and so did my mom's.  I am no longer diabetic since surgery! 

So no malitol or sorbitol for kathleen...we either send you splenda choccies or for even more fun post surgery a basketful of prunes   :-*

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
We need to make a decorative gift basket for post-surgery ANers!  With loverly prunes and oranges and metamucil and multi-colored stool softeners and stuff in a pretty basket with Easter grass and tied with a big bow!

Decorative, definitely functional, and quite entertaining!

Captain Deb 8)

Static

I've missed you guys, been kinda busy and had to get another root canal.  Make sure you do all the dental stuff you need to do, don't put it off of you will be in the root canal club with me! 

Anyway, I've found a product at the Vitamin Shoppe (they also have an online store if you don't have one near you) called "Colon Clenz".  It works really well, overnight and unless you take too much, unlike other similar products, you don't spend your day constantly visiting the throne!  It contains..........
Cascara  Sagrada (bark), Senna (leaf), Chinese Rhubarb (root), Black Walnut (hull, leaf), Aloe Vera (leaf), Oregon Grape (root), Yellow Dock (root), Valerian (root), Slippery Elm (bark).  It cost $18.35 per 120 capsules and is all herbal (or so it says), and can be taken every day if necessary.  Kinda expensive but well worth it, and not as expensive as some other things I've seen out there. 

With being on pain meds now because of the dental work, I depend on this stuff.  Also,  like batty said, that activia stuff helps too! 

Hope this helps get things "going" for ya! 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Battyp

Slippery Elm..now that says it all! ;D

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
Deb, don't forget the Johnson's no tears!!!!!!!   And Phyl's dad seemed quite enthralled with the chocolate bandaids that were in the care package I sent.  I'm sure from a purely professional, pharmacist view.   ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
couple of them band-aids left but PapaPearl due here tomorrow night... I may have to hide the remainder from him!

Flax oil works! I cook with it!  BTW, been doing the prune/honey routine nightly and yep, working like a charm!  aren't you all thrilled for me?

..and thanks folk for the suggestions and such. A "care" package post-AN surgery sounds like a winning plan!  Will buy stock in SunSweet Prunes! :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
Jeez Phyll, I'm so glad that I don't hafta fly up there and throw a snake in yer house!!!! (See for the girls thread, I think!)  :o

Capt Deb 8)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
I heard about the snake, don't want the snake, forgetabout da snake, ain't doing the snake! :D
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

Phyl, if Deb throws a snake in your apt...CB has to jet across the pond to rescue you and you'll then live happily ever after! :-*

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
OK, here's a question...what if you're like me, pre-surgery, less than small AN....the thought occurred to me today as I was sitting somewhere...should I be concerned as well?  It's been nestled in there for a while, but??  I'm thinking I'm fine, but wondering if I should make sure I don't get bound up and introuble in my head.  How in the heck am I going to keep a straight face in front of my mom and boyfriend if I ask the doctor...albeit serious, this could be an interesting conversation. 

****shakes her head in disbelief********