Author Topic: Selecting the Right Doctor  (Read 14812 times)

Bax

Selecting the Right Doctor
« on: February 22, 2005, 04:55:20 pm »
I understand that ANA recommends choosing a doctor with vast experience, but how did some of you go about making your doctor selection?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 07:25:10 am by Forum Admin »

Pembo

Re: Selectiong the Right Doctor
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 05:18:13 pm »
My doctor was recommended by the local ENT I saw. Dr. Megerian, University Hospitals Cleveland.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

welchy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:42:54 pm »
Does anybody know if there is a way to check to see the actual number of surgeries a particular doctor has done?

jcc

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 05:50:59 pm »
You just have to ask. Most doctors will NOT lie about that. Asking around is probably the easiest method.

Karissa

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 08:22:18 pm »
I found my doctor/surgeon by doing online research and by word of mouth from other AN patients. I chose Dr. Rick Friedman for my middle fossa surgery! Traveled from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles for my surgery.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 09:01:50 pm »
Hi Karissa,

Choosing the right doctor is the most important aspect no matter which treatment. It is often cited on this site that the doctor should have treated 100 or more patients using the procedure you are considering.  There are questions to ask the doctor at the http://anworld.com/
site. I printed them out and took notes right on the paper. 

I wish you well,
Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 05:31:38 pm »
BAX,
There are many questions for you to ask one is definitely how may removals have they done? How long will the surgery take? (The first Neurosurgeon I saw quoted 6 hours and claimed to have done as many as 2000 removals, he was starring at my 3 CM tumor MRI scan and quoted 6 hours...I did not choose him and the surgery took 13 1/2.)
Another good question is "Will the anestesiologist by board certified?" A surgeon friend reccommended this one and I just assumed they all are, apparently this is not the case.
Hope it helps..good luck.
Kathleen

antoinette

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 05:14:19 pm »
I wonder if you kept that linck which direct you to any doctor's name and some info.
was is the scholarly one?
I may put it here as others might want to explore it.
for Scholarly Articles          http://scholar.google.com/schhp?sourceid=sch&subid=US-ET-scholarpss
have a look :)
ant

DWR

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 09:24:20 am »
Has anyone heard of the Johns Hopkins Team of John Niparko and Rafael Tamargo?  I am scheduled to have surgery on 4/7 with this team - thanks, D.

alwaysanonymous

• just hold your head up high and be brave!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 04:35:50 pm »
dr niparko operated on me with dr long(a neurologist) about 4 years ago. he is the best that there is! he is very personable and visits his patients while they are in recovery in the hospital. again, there is no one better, if you want to know my email address for questions just post a reply and i will email you. good luck in april if i dont speak to you again. im sure you will be more than okay.
i just saw dr. niparko today for an unrelated AN visit(i had swollen lymph nodes). if you have any questions, feel free to ask away ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 05:32:34 pm by alwaysanonymous »

datwell

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 05:12:44 pm »
I am scheduled with Dr Tamargo / Dr Minor for surgery on 4/21 at Johns Hopkins.  I have been impressed with Dr. Tamargo and he indicated he has done over 400 AN surgical procedures...
Dave Atwell

David Wrubel

Get more than one opinion....
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 11:38:57 am »
The first doctor you'll see is usually a local recommendation, either from your regular doctor or ENT. Amazingly enough, many people settle for this option. Conventional neurosurgeons simply don't do enough ANs to have the kind of experience you want, so expand your search to large medical centers nearby. Call the Neurosurgery Dept. at each one and specifically ask for the name of a doctor who does AN surgery. Then ask him a lot of questions.

Don't settle for a local recommendation, don't settle for a doctor who might be more convenient than someone else, and remember throughout that it is the RESULT of the surgery you are really concerned about. The likelihood of not surviving AN surgery is very very small, so don't let the fear of dying cloud your judgement.

This is an incomplete list of some institutions with particular expertise in AN microsurgery:

House Ear Clinic, Los Angeles
Massachusetts General. Boston
Mt. Sinai, NYC
Columbia Presbyterian, NYC
Univ. of Pittsburgh Hospital
Cleveland Clinic
Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
University of California Santa Barbara
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

Becky

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 12:36:16 pm »
In addition to expertise, follow-up care is essential.  This is where many "excellent" surgeons drop the ball.  Make sure you go with caring doctors who will not let you down while under their care.  This is what makes an excellent surgeon a good doctor.  A good doctor doesn't just care about his own status, but cares about the patients.  A good doctor is truly a good find.

Becky
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 02:46:43 pm by Becky »

tintin17

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 10:22:55 pm »
I have just been diagonsed with AN in my right ear.I have just moved to Atlanta and have met an Otologist but I want a second opinion.Does anyone know of any doctor in this area? Is there a support group here too?

Raydean

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 03:25:40 pm »
Please contact the National ANA Office in Cumming, Georgia for the contact person for the support group in Atlanta. 

ANA
600 Peachtree Pkwy.
Suite 108
Cumming, GA 30041
Phone: 770-205-8211
Fax: 770-205-0239
Email:info@anausa.org

Best  to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.