Author Topic: Sore spots from translab?  (Read 2835 times)

Boppie

Sore spots from translab?
« on: March 14, 2006, 10:29:06 pm »
Has anyone else experienced sore spots from a clamp/frame used by some translab surgeons?  I have a few friends who have complained about the sore spots and how much they hurt.  Any comments about recovery from this pain would help somebody out there.

My own doctor did not use a frame at my request.  At least I had no such pain points on my skull that others describe.

Battyp

Re: Sore spots from translab?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:30:51 pm »
I had the head frame used and have a spot on my forehead that is still sensitive.  It really only hurts if I touch it or brush my hair so I avoid doing either  lol  Is it the same type of head frame Boppie?

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 01:55:28 pm »
Thanks, Battyp,

I think some translab doctors use a clamp thing that holds the head in postion for accuracy.  I requested that my doctor not use one if he could avoid it.  He said he wouldn't and I don't have the pain that some of my friends complain about.  I just wonder if there is any therapy that is best to rid oneself of the bruised feeling they have.  Bone bruises can hurt for a long time, I know that.  Have you ever hit your shin bone?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:58:07 pm by Boppie »

dgrummer

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 09:18:05 am »
My husband’s doctor used something to clamp his head still for his RS surgery.  On his AN side – they clamped it pretty tight and he had a bad scab area on his temple/above his ear.  Several people thought it was part of the incision – it was that large and looked that bad. 

The spots where the screws were have left bald spots where the hair will not grow back.  The one on the back of his head is no big deal – but the one on his right side is pretty noticeable and he’s very self conscience about it.  We’re waiting for the hair to grow long enough to cover it.

Even after all our research – this wasn’t something we knew was going to happen – so we didn’t know not to ask for it.  But I don’t think our surgeon would have given us an option.   As our ENT explained – they didn’t put him all the way under – like they do for other surgeries so they could monitor his nerves – so they have to use that to make sure he didn’t move – which would have killed him.  Apparently he did try to move during surgery because he pulled a muscle in his arm and had bruises up and down his left arm – where there wasn’t any IV or needles.  We think that was from straining against the restraints during his 12 hr surgery. Said he felt like someone had beat him with a steel bat.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 09:50:08 am »

Hey I have sore spots .. and they have changed over time .. spots that were not sore there first few months are now ! .. I think its the feeling slowly coming back! .. does any one know if "House" uses head clamps?

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital