Author Topic: JUST HAD SURGERY LAST TUESDAY AND DOING GREAT!  (Read 2575 times)

Jessie127

JUST HAD SURGERY LAST TUESDAY AND DOING GREAT!
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:11:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thank you for everyone's responses and help for the past couple of months.  I had surgery last week in CA at the House Ear Institute.  I feel pretty good.  Here's my success story:
 I am from Florida and flew too LA last monday.  On monday I spent all day going to the different doctors and doing the pretest.  Tuesday morning I saw Dr. De La Cruz again and was admitted into the hospital around 11am.  My surgery lasted around 3.5-4 hours and the doctros were able to preserve my hearing and facial nerve.  They unfortunately had to also remove the balance nerve on my left side and were able to remove the 1.5cm acoustic neuroma and used the middle fossa approach.  The doctors woke me up that night in ICU to make sure I could smile and talk to me and to see my family.   I was in ICU until wednesday evening then sent to a private room until saturday morning and am staying at their facility in the Seton Guest Center.  The doctors and nurses were great the facility is great and it is definitely something I recommend.  I was diagnosed with the AN in May of this year after having had a sudden hearing loss but still had my hearing before going into surgery and doctor's were able to preserve it.  It's been a great experience here and luckily the stitches come off next week and I get to go back home.  I still tend to loose my balance a little when walking and get extremely fatigued from doing just about anything even being here in front of the computer for too long but that's all normal things the doctor's said would go away after a couple of weeks.  If anyone has any questions please feel free to write and I'll get back to you.  I know it's a very difficult experience to be diagnosed with a brain tumor but everything will turn out just great. 

Again thanks everyone,
Jessica
Jessica - Age 28
August 23, 2005
House Ear Clinic - middle fossa approach - 1.2cm
Dr. De La Cruz and Dr. Hitselberger

Jeanlea

Re: JUST HAD SURGERY LAST TUESDAY AND DOING GREAT!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 08:27:17 pm »
Hi Jessica,

Thanks for sharing your story. It is very helpful to me because I will be having my surgery next Tuesday, September 6th.  I'm hoping for a successful surgery and great recovery.  It's good to hear that surgery can go so well.  :-)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

barbjo

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 06:27:56 am »
Jessica, that is wonderful!  Glad everything turned out great for you!!  May the rest of your recovery be a speedy one.

Jean, best of lucky.  I am sure everything will go great for you as well!  May you recovery be a speedy one too.  Let us know how you are doing after surgery. 

Hopes and prayers are with you both!!!              :)

Barb

kstanley

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 02:58:57 pm »
Jessica,

I am so glad to hear that everything worked out so wonderfully for you!  :)  I've been meaning to email you to see how your operation went.  It is so great that they were able to save both you hearing and facial nerves.  I bet you are very relieved that it is all over.  Don't worry about the balance problems- it will definately get better within a couple days.  Just keep walking and practicing the physical therapy exercises they gave you because it really helps!  Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay out in California and have a safe trip back to Florida! 

-Kara Stanley

5 cm Acoustic Neuroma
Trans-Lab
Removed March 31, 2005 at House Ear Clinic
Drs. Friedman and Schwartz

luv2teachsped

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 07:56:50 pm »
Jessica-So glad everything went well.  A positive attitude is really the key!  Jeanlea-  I'll be thinking and praying for you next week.  I'm sure your surgery will go well also.  An update on my first week of school:  My students handled my hearing loss quite well, and we all laughed when Ms.Johnson did the "wobbles"too! :D Teacher's meetings were another thing altogether.  Put a school full of teachers, grouped into grade levels at different tables all talking at once and they might aswell be speaking spanish! My principals use the microphone so I hear them fine, I figure what they have to say is probaly the most important anyways. :Dluv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07