Author Topic: Nightmares  (Read 2777 times)

Darlene

Nightmares
« on: June 19, 2009, 03:15:15 pm »
Hi Everyone,

My date is set, I had my pre-admission testing but I gotta tell you I was not prepared for the nightmares I am having every night.   I wake up petrified by some dream I had. ie. - I died while undergoing surgery or I can't open my eyes but am aware of everything going on during surgery but am unable to speak to let them know I am awake.  The list goes on.   Did anyone else experience this? I am not looking forward to the surgery or recovery but this pre-op stuff stinks! please tell me it goes away closer to surgery? 
Thanks,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 03:18:12 pm »
Hi Darlene:  No,  I didn't have nightmares due to surgery (I thought it would be a piece of cake !)
however,  I've always had awful nightmares - I believe they're due to anxiety that may be going on - it makes sense in your case.

Hope they don't last....& you have sweet dreams,
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Darlene

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:25:04 pm »
Nancy,
Thanks for your kind thoughts.  I guess your right they must be anxiety related.  Maybe I'll try a glass of wine before bed.  I don't normally drink very often but I might need to make an exception.  ;D   

Thanks,
Darlene
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:01:58 pm »
Darlene ....

I think it is very natural to have weird dreams during times of stress.  I'm sure you know the usual tricks of not watching scary TV shows (or searching the Internet) just before bedtime.  What works for me is to look at catalogs of fun things I would love to have someday (probably never will but it doesn't matter  ::)) for awhile before going to bed ..... whatever works for you, but something relaxing and/or pleasant.  I also find I dream less when I do not nap during the day and go to bed at the same time every night.

Wine does not work for me because I get a rebound about two hours after I go to sleep and wake up wide awake.  Believe it or not, hot skim milk with honey in it just before bed makes me relax.

Make lists of things you want (or need) to do pre and post surgery and then check them off ..... helps you feel like you are doing something tangible and more in control.  For me nightmares usually occur for me when I feel out of control.

You are almost there so hang in there!  My thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 12:47:46 pm »
I had the dreams post op.  One was Jerry Lewis wanting to do a craniotomy on me. Another was  s school janitor doing the surgery...But the worse one..lol...being a nana to six was dreaming I had another child..a boy...lol....now that one scared me
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

JohnnyDiaz

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 12:58:10 pm »
Prior to my surgery, the most difficult times were when I would wake up in the middle of the night and I felt so stressed out. I think the mind tries to work things out while you are asleep sometimes. I went to the hospital prior to my surgery and just walked around and tried to envision myself the day of the surgery. That really helped, almost like facing my fears. I felt more comfortable the day of surgery and it seemed to help me sleep. I think we freak out when we cannot control our situation and that is when FEAR (False Evidence Appearing Real) likes to just torture us. I can tell you this.. you are not alone and alot of us have gone through the same thing. I would just pray and that always calmed me down. Thank you for sharing and allowing us to understand what you are going through. I have said this before, I set a goal for after my surgery of doing something and before you know it, you will be on the mend. Keep us informed. Thanks,
Diagnosed 6/08 - 2.5 cm Left AN
9.5hr surgery 10/7/08 w/Dr. Chandler and Dr. Green Baptist Hospital - Jax, Fl
Post Op Complications - Additional Surgeries 10/12 & 10/13
SSD on Left
7 months later I feel great!!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 01:44:15 pm »
JO:  no offense, but that's a riot about Jerry Lewis doing the surgery ! !

& your right Johnny,  dealing with the fears beforehand obviously makes a difference...
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Darlene

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 02:02:15 pm »
Clarice,
Thanks for all the great ideas, I am a big chicken and never watch scary movies although I did recently watch Slumdog Millionaire and although it was an excellent movie- there were some very disturbing scenes, so I will need to careful even iif they aren't your typical horror flicks.  I think I will stick to the happy themes for awhile.   I do love to read and am going to the library to get some light hearted ficition for before bed and maybe that will help. I'll give the milk a try. Thanks again.

Jo,
Thanks for the laughs!   The vision of Jerry Lewis is hilarious.

Johnny,
Thanks for your help.  I did go to the hospital and it did lessen my fears  My husband still thinks it is hysterical that I questioned the doctor about how they are going to positon my head- because I don't want a sore neck.  His point being that getting my head drilled open is probably going to hurt more, but for me it was at least something I could  try to control.  I never considered the connection between being out of control and nightmares.  I am not a frequent sufferer of nightmares, most of the time I can't even remember my dreams but I think your right they are probably due to not liking being out ot conrtol.  I can't wait for this to be over.   

Thanks  for your great ideas. 
Dalrene

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 02:34:23 pm »
Darlene ....

So glad you are feeling better about everything ..... sometimes it just helps to vent your fears ..... or confront them as Johnny said.

We recently rented "Slumdog Millionaire" (I am still afraid to venture to the theater because of the sound level!) and it definitely was not a relaxing movie!  Light hearted fiction or joke books are always good.   ;D

Be sure to keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011