Author Topic: Six Weeks Post Op ~ Update  (Read 2395 times)

beachmommy

Six Weeks Post Op ~ Update
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:39:40 pm »
Hello All,

It has been an interesting three weeks, since last I posted.

On my birthday, I got a bad headache - I think, because I went off birth control pills as directed by my physicians. It made me feel off balance. The physical therapist started doing Brandt Daroff exercises that you would do for BPPV and she was able to get a tiny bit of nystagmus. I freaked out a little. I just had a hole drilled in my skull so that I would not have to have vertigo anymore. I had been feeling fine. It was my birthday.

Not a good day.

My surgeon didn't seem particularly concerned. He reminded me that I had surgery three weeks ago and that I was doing fine. He said to take a valium if I needed one. This did not mean I had BPPV and it did not mean I had Menieres. Just chill out.

It took a few days to be rid of the hangover like headache. It felt like a post vertigo headache, except that I never did get vertigo. I felt great from the neck down. Just tired, wobbly and headachy. I do think it is related to my cycle and/or the pill because two weeks later I had a lesser similar episode.

This time I did the Brandt-Daroff exercises myself but could not really tell if they were helping or not.

I neglect to mention that I was seriously over doing it for a person three weeks post-op. Lots of bending, crawling around on the floor to clean under my six year old daughter's bed, spring cleaning on a household wide scale.

They may have dealt with my ear, but maybe just maybe I am a little crazy. I don't like to be bored. I know I was overdoing, because as soon as I slow down I feel really good. Great, in fact.

One month post op to the day, I walked my beloved local beach. Beach mommy, meet beach sand, meet the pier, meet the open limitless expanse of moving ocean, meet the horizon. I did it all, then walked two miles of shoreline just to celebrate. I came home fulfilled and took a nap.

At five weeks post op I went to physical therapy and a mom of a new patient was in the waiting room. She said, 'Hi. What's the matter with you? You don't look sick.' :D I said 'I am not sick. I am a medical miracle. Nice to meet you. If you ever need a good neurologist or ENT go to my doctor.'  ;)

Today is one day shy of six weeks post op. I went to see my surgeon. He said I know it is hard to believe, but you are fine. No restrictions. Go live your life. Have fun!

To celebrate my husband and I went out for lunch at a local diner.. I had a grilled turkey and swiss cheese sandwich, with bacon and avocado on pumpernickel with french fries. ~And a coke. Without worrying about the sodium or the caffeine. I had never been in the restaurant before. After being low sodium for seven years, I had no idea how expensive lunch out had gotten! That was the big shock of the day!

This weekend, my husband will take me up to the high school where I will drive my car for the first time post op.

Can't wait!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Six Weeks Post Op ~ Update
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 02:10:19 pm »
Beachmommy ~

Wow!  It sure has been an interesting three weeks!  I'm very pleased to read that despite the false alarms and you overdoing it a bit, the final result is that you're through recovery with 'flying colors' and have that coveted 'authorization' from your doctor to "Go live your life.  Have fun!"  I have no doubt that you will, to the fullest extent.  Congratulations!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

crivers

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:27:13 pm »
I am really happy to hear of your progress - the story is now in my bank of hope for recovery as well. Thanks for sharing and best wishes going forward.
Cayce
Rt side AN - discovered
Jul 09: 6mmx4mmx4mm
Feb 10: 8mmx5mmx5mm

CyberKnife - Stanford - Dr. Chang and Soltys
April 5 - 9th, 2010

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 08:39:53 am »
Great story for the pre-ops everyone's case is individual and you hear more and more success stories.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

moe

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 09:23:15 am »
Dear Beachmommy,
Great news, what a nice recovery! I'm so happy for you.

Keep enjoying your life,but remember to take it easy when you are feeling like you over do it. (Don't know if that is going to be a problem for you, you are doing GRREEEAT!)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty