Author Topic: thanks  (Read 1267 times)

Patti

thanks
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:22:37 am »
as i lay in bed last night, waiting for sleep to come (as usual with me), i got a tear in my good eye as i thought about wht i am thankful for.  I first of all say my life-not dying at a tough time.  but then the real confession-i am privaleged to have been put on disability because i could afford to be around alot to help my girls through their teen years.  it was not always a pleasure, but a neccessity.  i think i am out of the woods with them-the scary stuff may have passed.  i am thankful for my husband.  he is very supportive in every way and the girls love him.  we are best friends.  my home is not my dream home but it is nice.  i live where i live.  i am thankful for a large extended family that gets together a few times a year, no matter how long the miles are.  i am very thankful for my parents.  they moved to florida 11 years ago but come here often and have a lovely home to visit.  they are healthy and happy and always a pleasure to be with.  I am so thankful for the many friends i have-those i see regularly and those i see occassionaly.  i am thankful that god is a force in my soul, being with me at all times (except for bedtime ???)  Thanks to all the people who i can count on being here at this site to understand eachother.  love to all-patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

RosemaryL

Re: thanks
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:38:55 am »
Patti:

Thanks for the thoughts on thanks.  We all have much to be grateful for.   

I have a thought about the sleep (or inability to).  I also have had times when I couldn't sleep - this technique often has worked for me.  Lie on your back; make sure you are very comfortable.  Close your eyes, relax, and visualize a black widow - at least half the size of your field of vision and perfectly square (or perfectly round) and solid black.  If you see any other colors inside the window, think them black.  Sounds simple, but it's hard to do if your mind wants to focus on other things.  I think this works because you focus your brain on something simple and prevent it from focusing on all that affects your life.  I usually don't manage to make the window perfect - I fall asleep first.  BTW if you are uncomfortable (too hot, too cold, in pain), this will be easier if you address those issues first.  Alas, I can only do this when I can lie on my back.  If you focus on sounds at night, you might also try earplugs.  Be sure to get them far enough into your ear so they totally block sound when they expand. 

Good luck.
Rosemary
1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered

Patti

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 09:51:06 am »
Rosemary-i sure hope you did not want me to focus on a black widow.  i am freaked out by spiders!  also, since i am ssd i only need one earplug!   thanks though! i am going to assume you meant black window and give it a try. patti

4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:30:03 am »
Patti,
I think Rosemary meant black WINDOW, not black widow, lol.   :D  I need drugs to sleep; all of the other methods have failed me, though I haven't used the black window....
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:33:53 pm »
Patti:

Unfortunately, I don't have any viable suggestions on how to defeat insomnia but I appreciate your post and the heartfelt expression of thankfulness it carried.  Very affecting.  So, thank you:)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

RosemaryL

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 03:28:15 pm »
Patti:

Wow - that was a very bad oops!  I did mean a black window.  Hope the bad typo didn't throw you off so bad you won't give the method a try. 

Rosemary
1.5 cm right side AN removed by retrosigmoid approach, 12/1/98
Laligam Sekhar and Sanjay Prasad, George Washington Univ Hosp
deaf on right side, facial feeling and function fully recovered