Author Topic: Post op depression  (Read 13522 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Post op depression
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 07:27:23 am »
Zeek:

I totally agree with Steve.  Try renting a convertible for a weekend (or two).  I had convertibles when I was younger and loved them.  On today's cars, the tops go up in about 20 seconds and with very little hassle, unlike the older cars.  Some higher-priced models even have solid (plastic) roofs that automatically fold up (into the truck area) so you have a solid covering (no leaks) for inclement weather, much better security and improved support in a crash.

As Jan stated, life is too short to be practical.  I bought a brand new, dark red V-8 Mustang  (with 4-speed transmission) when I was 47.  I used it as my 'daily driver'.  My wife had a new, 4-door Mazda 626 with automatic transmission so we always had a 'practical' car in the family.  I put 125,000 miles on it and sold it in 2005 for $3,000. (it was in excellent condition).  I've never regretted buying that car.  It served me well for 15 years and I had no serious mechanical difficulties with it.  It also gave me great pleasure.  I recall taking my son to Junior High school and making him instantly more popular when he got out of the red Mustang as the duel exhausts burbled and I drove away.  Like a convertible, a 'muscle car' can be semi-practical (I used the Mustang like I would any other car) and although they always have a few drawbacks, for a single man they would be few and far-between.  Treat yourself.  I did.  :)

BTY: I lived in southern California in the mid-1970's (North Hollywood) and I know from first-hand experience that the Pacific Coast Highway is a great drive in almost any car (I had a new Chevy Camaro at the time) and especially in a convertible with the top down.  I highly recommend it.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 09:38:21 am »
The Oregon Coast is a pretty spectacular drive too… and it looks as though the rainy season is behind us now - as we are into scorching temperatures.

So you can keep your top down and keep heading north… if you are really adventurous.

Cheers,

Daisy Head Mazy

P.S. I drive a screaming family van- often loaded with kids … seems this makes us popular too (tease JS  :D ;) :D LOL) … especially when we are willing to drive and chaperone kids to various places. I hope you all have seen Pixar’s movie CARS. I am definitely Sally the blue Porsche… in that movie.
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 11:12:57 am »
Hi Zeek-

So, sports cars aside ... good for you for doing a little planting!  I put a few herbs in pots this week and felt immensdely satisfied.  I am going to tackle some flowers very soon. 

Also, I commend you for taking walks - I find that to be very good therapy myself, something about the fresh air and just the feeling of moving.

One of the other things that helps me is that I set some small goal for myself each day (as simple as taking the dog for a walk, or eating dinner in a public place).  That way, at the end of each day, I can take a few minutes to celebrate whatever little victory I've achieved that day.  It really does help me to focus on the positive things, rather than dwelling on the things that aren't so good (and, heaven knows, there seem to be a lot of those right now...)  And, I also think about how lucky I am to have the family and friends in my life.

Debbi - also feeling lucky to have made so many friends on this forum...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

zeek

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 08:11:23 pm »
I know that I need to count my blessings. 1) I did not have a stroke during the operation. 2) I survived it. 3) I was able to swallow afterwords. 4) I was able to eat right away even though it didn't taste to good at first. 5) I didn't loose my sense of taste. 6) My stroke face went away in a month or so. 7) My leg they injured healed up. ( looked like bed sores for being on table for 13 hours.) 8) I can't hardly tell were they opened me up. 9) My hand pain is getting much better.( they injured it) 10) I'm off all drugs. 11) I started walking 2 days after surgery. 12) Hours after I woke up, I sat in a chair next to bed. 13) My weight balooned to 285 (water) then dropped back to 265. I'm now down to 250.14)14) My vision got back to normal. I had family, friends, and neihbors help out, visit me, and take care of me bring me food. I could go on and on.
One comment about my walking. My lazy cat doesn't get much exerise because she insists that I carry her! And I have up and down evenings. Tonight is a good one.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 09:30:19 pm »
Zeek -

do you realize this is your 2nd positive post on this subject in two days?  I think you are making progress since you found us  ;)

Glad you're having a good night; you're entitled to it.

Hope you have many more,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 09:44:02 pm »
Zeek~
I've never made a list of the blessings that came out of my surgery...you've really gotten me to thinking -- thank you!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!