Author Topic: using headphones  (Read 4526 times)

Clifton

using headphones
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:48:43 pm »
so extremely excited about my new purchase of this IPOD TOUCH.

it basically is an iphone, without the phone capability. its a full touch screen 16G ipod that has the ability to get online and surf.
its incredible except like most of you, i can't hear out of one ear now.

does anyone know where to buy a special headphone that'll play stereo in ONE earphone?  does somthing like this even exist? cuz if not im going to be a millionaire creating it asap.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

Boppie

Re: using headphones
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:11:51 pm »
I read on this forum that someone found an adapter for stereo to mono phone sets at Radioshack.

robynabc

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:01:07 am »
HI,

We bought an adapter off of Amazon,  I think it was.  The Radio Shack one didn't fit right.  It works great.  Puts it all in one ear.    You just use one headphone but all the stereo comes in that way.  We also bought a Zen (we don't like the Ipod)  adapter and it has stero speakers.  Eric is starting to like that even better. 

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

lori78

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 03:44:02 pm »
I think it may have been me who wrote awhile back.... yes, there is an inexpensive adaptive device that plays all sounds in one ear, you can get it at radioshack, etc.  Mine came w two sizes, but only one fit into my ipod.  It's great... I work as a music therapist, of all things but work w people w physical disabilities, so I know my adaptive devices if needed!!, I have no tinnitus thankfully, so I love it!!  Good luck, although I am wary of these cell phones w the # of young folks getting large AN's.  Typical?  I am 29.  Take care and enjoy your device!!
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Clifton

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:35:32 am »
I think it may have been me who wrote awhile back.... yes, there is an inexpensive adaptive device that plays all sounds in one ear, you can get it at radioshack, etc.  Mine came w two sizes, but only one fit into my ipod.  It's great... I work as a music therapist, of all things but work w people w physical disabilities, so I know my adaptive devices if needed!!, I have no tinnitus thankfully, so I love it!!  Good luck, although I am wary of these cell phones w the # of young folks getting large AN's.  Typical?  I am 29.  Take care and enjoy your device!!

do you think the AN is related to cell phone use at all? reading that kinda sparked that thought into my head.
2cm AN right side.

Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 02:06:49 pm »
Clifton, there have been many conversations regarding cell phone use and tumors.  I just heard that heavy cell phone usage is not advisable, especially when the phone gets warm.  AN's have been around long before cell phones so cell phones don't cause AN's.  I think the jury is still out on the cell phone topic. I kind of worry about my kids, because they don't even use a land line anymore, it's just their cell phones and my DIL can be on that constantly.  I would hate to think that in 10-15 years we find out that cell phones have been slowly destroying the brain cells!  Who knows.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 07:42:25 am »
A thought on cell phones use.  I have always, since I was a little kid, used the phone on my left ear.  The right ear just never felt natural.  I had a right side AN.  If cell phones were the culpret, highly unlikely that I would have a right side tumor.  My Neurosurgeon said also that it is NOT from cell phone use according to his studies.  On a personal note......kind of funny how life works at times....I don't have to get used to talking on a different ear :)

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

satman

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:12:06 am »
Does anyone remember falling asleep on the phone when you were in love as a kid ?
Imagine , that was  a land line ,at least it was for me ,back in the 70"s and 80"s , imagine all
the kids today with cell phones. I found it interesting .
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Clifton

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 11:51:18 am »
Does anyone remember falling asleep on the phone when you were in love as a kid ?
Imagine , that was  a land line ,at least it was for me ,back in the 70"s and 80"s , imagine all
the kids today with cell phones. I found it interesting .

yeah i used to be guilty of falling asleep with a cell phone. and it always was my right side. THE AN SIDE! thats why i was hoping they weren't connected cuz now i have to get used to using my left side to talk on the phone.
2cm AN right side.

Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas

satman

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 12:47:16 pm »
I'm right handed and deaf in left.
its kinda hard talking on phone with right hand ,right ear and try to take a message.
now i have to use left hand to right ear so i can take message with right hand. FRUSTRATING !
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:00:32 pm »
Satman -

same issue here.  Deaf in left ear/right handed - have to use right hand to hold phone - really ties up my right hand so I can't write, type, etc.  Bummer!  :(

I looked for the mono headphone/adapter on both Amazon.com and Radio Shack's website, but couldn't find anything that sounded like what anyone has described.  Does anyone remember specifically what it is called?  I'd really love to get one since my iPod just doesn't sound the same since surgery  :(

Many thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MStout

• Be kind to everyone
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 07:54:37 am »
A lot of songs are written with stereo in mind, and if the singing is in the right ear and instrumentation in the left, I hear no singing (except maybe an echo in the recording studio).  When music goes "back and forth" it drives me crazy!   I got Bose speakers that are designed for docking an IPod, so I won't miss out on anything again!

Martha
Martha

Clifton

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 12:07:54 am »
A lot of songs are written with stereo in mind, and if the singing is in the right ear and instrumentation in the left, I hear no singing (except maybe an echo in the recording studio).  When music goes "back and forth" it drives me crazy!   I got Bose speakers that are designed for docking an IPod, so I won't miss out on anything again!

Martha

the little adapter thing i bought solved the problem. it moves all the sound to just one headphone so we dont miss a thing!
2cm AN right side.

Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas

Clifton

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 12:09:51 am »
Satman -

same issue here.  Deaf in left ear/right handed - have to use right hand to hold phone - really ties up my right hand so I can't write, type, etc.  Bummer!  :(

I looked for the mono headphone/adapter on both Amazon.com and Radio Shack's website, but couldn't find anything that sounded like what anyone has described.  Does anyone remember specifically what it is called?  I'd really love to get one since my iPod just doesn't sound the same since surgery  :(

Many thanks,

Jan

unfortunatly it doesnt really have a name, its just a 3.55 mm MONO adapter that makes all the stereo music go to just one headphone.
if you go to the radioshack and describe it, they know right away. at least the one i went to did!
2cm AN right side.

Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 06:12:37 am »
Clifton -

thanks for the info.  Guess I'll be taking a trip to my local RadioShack this weekend.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways