Author Topic: updates from mysefl  (Read 6333 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: updates from mysefl
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 11:25:53 am »
Clifton -

I find that no matter how old I am (going to be 46 next week) my parents still tell me what to do.  That's a problem you'll most likely never escape  ;D  You just have to remember that they are concerned because they love you - and then do what you, and the doctor, think is best.

Your sleep schedule will probably be weird for a while, but it will get better.  Just last night, I had my first full night of sleep and I'm almost 4 months post op.  Even though the surgery is over, you still have a lot on your mind.  Anesthesia also takes time to wear off.  You'll get there; just try to be patient and rest.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Clifton

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 03:30:40 am »
Clifton, You will feel better after the heavy meds stop.  Most of us had a wonky sleep schedule after the surgery.  For the next few weeks you will live in this sleep on and off schedule;  your body will regulate the cycle by itself as you heal.  I am glad you are a postie now!

Thank goodness for bossy parents, huh?   

haha yeah i suppose.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

MLB57

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 04:35:20 am »
Hi Clifton--I had a  1 cm rt an removed Jan 2001 in MA--hospital stay uneventful--I just wanted to let you know I was a healthy 50 year old woman and I was out of work for 3 1/2 months as I was so fatigured!! My surgeons told me I'd feel "like a Mac truck hit" me for 6  or 8 weeks but for me it was longer. The first 2 wks I had my son and daughter and friends staying with me, making meals and checking up on me as I was using a walker as I had little balance and generally shakey and weak. I read somewhere that normally your brain uses 25% of your body's energy to keep your body functioning so when you have a brain injury (surgey is trauma!!) most all your energy goes to your brain to heal it. So the rest of your body suffers. So take it easy and be especailly aware that the other side of your brain has to take over your balance and you can lose your balance so easily in the beginning. You will heal fine, but it takes time so don't push it!!!   ;)

My best wishes to you!!  Mary from MA
1 cm rt AN (retrosigmoid Jan 2001 UMASSMed Ctr/Worc, MA)
Residual left--continued growing--finished 30 FSR w/Dr Loeffler (Mass Gen/Boston MA) on Oct 22 2007... --April 2010--tumor shrank to 8mm and is a dark spot!!  Latest Update: April May 2017 scan shows no change!--Next MRI 2020!!  Life is good!!

satman

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 08:03:11 am »
MLB57,I could'nt have said it better my self.
"Patience Grasshopper"
Clifton,i'm happy to see your on the other side,CONGRATS !
its not over after surgery,that seems to be the easy part.
hang in there,its been 6mos for me and finally the dizziness is starting to fade away.
i dont know if i missed or forgot but did you have any paralysis or balance issues ?
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Ellenmn

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 07:53:46 am »
Clifton glad your home and on the road to recovery.

Clifton

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 12:05:23 pm »
MLB57,I could'nt have said it better my self.
"Patience Grasshopper"
Clifton,i'm happy to see your on the other side,CONGRATS !
its not over after surgery,that seems to be the easy part.
hang in there,its been 6mos for me and finally the dizziness is starting to fade away.
i dont know if i missed or forgot but did you have any paralysis or balance issues ?

yeah im completely paralyzed on the right side for now, but the doctors said that i reacted to the most minimal amount of stimulation after surgery so that means that it'll come back completely they said. no damage to the nerve, its just "traumatized" right now haha.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 02:47:26 pm »
You're right on re: your facial nerve reacting to the stimulation.   That was my problem - no nerve reaction to even the highest stimulation before they even started working on removing the tumor (which lifted off the nerve easily).   Keeping the positive thoughts going  - PATIENCE will be the word for you Clifton.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis