Author Topic: Valium experiences for tinnitus/vertigo?  (Read 9654 times)

Nannybee

Valium experiences for tinnitus/vertigo?
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:41:45 pm »
Has anyone had luck with Valium (diazepam) helping with tinnitus and/or vertigo symptoms? I am planning to discuss this with my pcp when I see her later this week. My tinnitus is so loud that it's hard to concentrate some times and it is very distracting.
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Valium experiences for tinnitus/vertigo?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:51 am »
Hi ,

Yes, have used low dose (2mg) Valium for dizziness/vertigo issues post-Cyberknife Radiation.  Many have used over time, short term, for relief for the vertigo/dizziness as it helps to calm the nerve down. This was recommended to me by the radio-neurologist that followed me post-radiation.  It is usually prescribed in low dose (as previously noted) for no more than 2 weeks. I personally found relief in using it as have others. 

Just my personal experience.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Susie

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:51:52 am »
Nannybee,
I am almost six years post gamma knife and I still take 2mg of Valium PRN for vertigo. My pcp continued the prescription originally prescribed by my neuro doctor.
Susan
Gamma Knife 6/2007
Right sided facial paralysis 9/2007
Right sided deafness
Oticon Ponto Pro Power 9/2011
Appt at MEEI 10/2011
Psalm 121

PamJ

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:26 am »
Hi I'm in the uk and was troubled with vertigo when on holiday in the states, in desperation I went to the hospital and they gave me valium that worked almost immediately.  When I returned to the UK and told my doctor here he said he'd never heard of it working on vertigo.  The American hospital also told me while taking valium to use a nasal spray.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

Ned

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:32:35 pm »
I have been using Clonazepan for 10 years.  I take 2mg at night and cut one in half and take during the day.  Small doses seem to work better for me during the day because they can make you sleepy.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

Nannybee

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:53:49 pm »
Thanks for the responses. I saw my PCP today and she did give me a prescription to trial 2 mg Valium twice daily as needed. I took just a half of a tablet today since it was the first time trying it and it did seem to help somewhat with the tinnitus. May be a placebo effect, but glad to have any reduction in the volume of that constant screeching sound!
AN 18x19 mm
3 meningiomas
NF2
AN treated with SRS April 2013
MRI Feb 2016 AN shrunk to 17 x 8 mm :)
Constant tinnitus in AN ear
Severe hearing loss AN ear