Author Topic: update on Rick's surgery  (Read 2466 times)

rvb755

update on Rick's surgery
« on: August 25, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »
I just wanted to update everyone on Rick's Surgery. Yesterday (August 24) Rick had surgery at the House Int. in L.A. with Dr Friedman and Dr Schwarz. It was a 9 hour surgery and they removed 100% of the tumor without cutting the facial nerve. He is in ICU today but hopes to move to a regular room today. He is doing very well. Thank you for all the support you have given him during this difficult time.

His wife Tracy
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

schmidtkat

Re: update on Rick's surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »
Tracy,

I am elated to hear of the successful removal of Rick's AN! I've been watching for a post and praying for God's healing touch in the surgeons' hands! Please let Rick know that thoughts and prayers go out to you both.

If you are still there when we arrive on Wednesday we will sure try to look you up. Rick said you would be at Seton Hall, and that's where we plan to stay as well. My pre-op is Thursday AM and surgery is scheduled for Friday, Sept. 2nd.

All the best!
Kathy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 05:15:49 pm »
Tracy .....

Thanks for letting us know about Rick's surgery.  So glad and grateful all went well.  He was in the best of hands and it paid off!

Prayers continue for an uneventful recovery.  Hope he is up and walking the tunnel between Seton Hall and St. Vincent's very soon!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JAndrews

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »
Great news!!! I would expect no less from House Ear. The horror stories that are out there and still continue based on a few posts I have read...is disgusting. The surgeons that actually cut a facial nerve in the year 2011..should never have been operating in the first place. To all people out there who have not had surgery yet....only go to the experts!!!
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:19:09 pm »
Good news, Tracy.

Thanks for updating us.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kareno

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:32:53 am »
Hi Tracy:

It is so nice to hear good news please send our warmest regards to Rick and have patience with the recovery process. My husband had a 3cm AN one year ago and is doing very well.

Karen
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

ksiwek

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 10:37:46 pm »
Such great news!!!  Tell Rick I have been thinking of him and will be praying for an uneventful recovery!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)