Author Topic: This Week 9/27 in the AN World  (Read 5247 times)

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
This Week 9/27 in the AN World
« on: September 27, 2009, 01:40:21 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the well wishes regarding our outing to the NASCAR race.  We had a good time, and Scarlett handled the long day (up at 4:30 am home by 10:30 pm), the noise, and the crowd very well.  Some head pressure and head ache, but all and all it was a nice day.

We have another semi quite week this week, with only two surgeries.

Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday are all open days this week.

Monday is Yom Kippur

Monday we also have Deb (doinoc) going in for her surgery after 7 years of W&W.  Deb, we know you have been struggling with the surgery/radiation decision all summer.  Our hopes and prayers will be with you tomorrow, and in the days ahead, for a smooth surgery, and quick recovery (with few balance issues) ;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Lori (lori67), another one of our valued Hero Members, hope you have a great day Thursday.

Denise (Goldie) is having her translab surgery Thursday.  Your coworkers at the Mayo Clinic will take good care of you.  We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers that your surgery and recovery are a success, and that your facial paralysis worries will be unfounded ;)

For those already in the recovery stage, you remain in our payers for steady improvement :)

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: This Week 9/27 in the AN World
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:57:47 pm »
Rich ~

Thanks, as always, for your work in posting the weekly AN update. 

My very best to Deb (doinoc )and Denise  ('Glodie') as they go into surgery this week.  The prayers of many, including myself, will go with them both.

Happy Birthday wishes to Lori, one of my favorite posters.  As a informational aside: Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the year for observant Jews...a day of atonement.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 06:47:15 pm »
Thanks, Rich.
Good luck to the two Ds.  I had 7 years of W & W, too, Deb and rocked it.  Hoping you will, too.  And Denise, it seems you have an inside edge, so you'll do just fine, I'm sure of it.
Happy Birthday to one of my favs, too.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:02:11 pm »
I love quiet weeks on the AN Calendar.

Best wishes for two successful surgeries and recoveries to Deb and Denise - see you guys as posties!

Do either of you have a scribe?  We get very inpatient waiting for updates on our family members.

Lori -

what can I say??  You're one of my favorite posters also - you definitely keep me grinning  ;D

Best wishes on your 25th birthday (or is that 26th?) LOL

Make James and the kids take you out for a special dinner - you deserve it!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 05:49:43 am »
Rich

Domo arigato for the update! Thrlled to hear you and Scarlett had a great NASCAR time and that she held up well........ hoping she's resting after such a time!

Deb and Denise... wellness wishes and speedy recoveries to you both!

Lori.... halo dropping on your burfday is allowed ;)   

For those celebrating Yom Kippur, hoping the fast is easy and thinking of you all.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 07:52:38 am »

Lori.... halo dropping on your burfday is allowed ;)   

Wow, Lori  :o  Special dispensation from Phyl.

Doesn't happen often - I say go for it  ;)  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:27:21 am »
Aw, you guys...you're making me blush!    ;D  Thank you!!!

First, the important stuff - good luck to Deb and Denise!  You'll do great.  Good luck to anyone else enjoying any other AN-related fun this week as well!

Now...onto this halo dropping.....I better get busy - a whole 24 hours without having to pick the thing up and straighten it out!  Wheeeeehooooooo!!!!!!!

Lori
p.s. Jan, don't be silly - I'm 29!   ;)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:43:09 am »
Best to Denise & Deb this week!  Cheering you on to an uneventful and quick as possible recovery!

Lori!!!  Happy Birthday on Thursday!  Enjoy your day of sanctioned naughtiness here on the forum!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:00:22 am »
Rich - thanks for the weekly update.  It is a great way to stay up-to-date with events.

Jim - thanks for adding the forum names.  Makes it easier on us newbies!

Denise and Deb - you are in my thoughts and prayers!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 09:07:31 am »
Rich ....

Thanks for the weekly list ...... I am becoming a big fan of list-making any more.

Thoughts and prayers to Deb and Denise as they face surgeries.

Special congratulations to Lori on her 29th birthday  ??? .

Best wishes to all of the recent posties, as well.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Goldie

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 06:41:29 pm »
Browsing a little further through the forum and just finally caught on to "This Week"!  Thanks for your encouraging words, everyone!  Happily, I am post 3 weeks tomorrow and doing great!  I had my stitches out last Friday and my surgeon says I have grade 2 facial weakness, with grade 1 being perfect.  I can tell some minor things with my face (mostly still some jumpiness), but really it's not very noticeable to anyone else.  Not at all what either my surgeons or I expected, as I was told I would have either temporary or permanent facial paralysis.  My facial nerve was "very irritated" during the surgery, but they were able to preserve it with just a tiny, tiny bit of tumor left.  I had little hearing left on that side, so that loss so far has not been much of an adjustment, and my balance also seems about the same.  I am dealing with headaches, but not the migraine variety so bearable, and variable taste issues.  Overall I consider my surgery a huge success.  I wish everyone could be as fortunate, but I know that's not the case.  I'm very thankful and hope I can be encouraging to others in the years to come. 
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 03:34:57 pm »
Denise/Goldie ~

Thanks for posting an update on your progressing recovery.  I'm so pleased to learn that you had a good outcome from the surgery.  I know you'll be an encouragement to others.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

opp2

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 08:16:51 pm »
I had a surprise MRI today. From my uneducated appraisal it looks like a standard growth rate (1mm =6mos). This one is 6 months after the initial one, 4 months after the 'referral'  one from a canadian lab.

No contrast on the last two.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.