Author Topic: QUESTION RE BAHA  (Read 4939 times)

jazzfunkanne

QUESTION RE BAHA
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:02:26 am »
Hi i dont know if anyone has ever had a digital or anologe hearing aid, but can anyone tell me if the baha sounds like a digital or anologue many thanks
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: QUESTION RE BAHA
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:48:56 am »
jfanne -

my BAHA is digital.  From what I've heard from others, they used to be analog but digital is the way to go.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:34:17 pm »
thanks jan, i liked the anologe sound better, but i suppose i will get used to the sound
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 04:57:48 am »
What is this BAHA?  Ojemann at MGH mentioned a hearing aid that took sound from one side of head to good ear, but he did not recommend it.  I've been in many dangerous situations (almost got run over by a truck in Edinburgh) where knowing that there is something I need to pay attention to on my deaf side would have been beneficial.
After enough of those incidents where people think I'm ignoring them because I am unaware of their existence on my right side, I asked BCBS if they cover such a device, but they said they don't pay for hearing aids.  They did say that Dr McKenna could write a letter supporting the need.
Thanks.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:48:25 am »
Nancy -

a BAHA is a bone-attached hearing aid; however, it's technically an implant so insurance companies do cover it.  Sometimes you have to fight for this coverage, but in the end most patients prevail.

Here is a link that explains the BAHA: http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

And here's a link on this forum with pictures of my head and my BAHA: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.0

I have found my BAHA to be amazing; if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:58:49 am »
So does this mean that you can actually tell which side of your head the sound is coming from?  I thought it would be something that captures the sound from one side and transmits it to the good ear.
It doesn't fall off when you're jumping around?  What is the mechanical attachment?  Magnetic?  Snap?  Threaded?
Amazing stuff.  I would love to know what's happening on the other side of my world!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 08:15:48 pm »
One of the downsides of the BAHA is you don't get directionality.  You hear the sound, but it's sometimes hard to determine where it's coming from.  For instance, if you are standing in front of a bank of elevators, you'll hear the bell "ding" when an elevator arrives, but you aren't always sure if it's in front of you or behind you  ::)  But - at least you hear the "ding" if it's on your "bad side" 8)

The other downside is the BAHA doesn't work well in noisy, crowded rooms - but neither do most hearing aids (including the TransEar) from what I've heard.

The processor (tiny hearing aid) kind of snaps into the abutment (titanium rod that is implanted into the skull).  You use a rocking motion to snap the processor on and you "pop" it off.

It truly is amazing  ;D

Jan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:59:31 am »

its a like a winter coat snap or lego !
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

NancyMc

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:23:34 am »
Met with McKenna yesterday, going in translab, booking months from now, see Barker on Monday to schedule.
McKenna said insurance pays for procedure but not hardware.  ??

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:58:48 pm »
McKenna said insurance pays for procedure but not hardware.  ??

All depends on the insurance.  Mine, thankfully, paid for the implant surgery and the "hardware" (processor).  I only had to pay $400 in deductible.

Jan

NancyMc

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 06:47:31 am »
That's hopeful advice.  Thanks!

kmancini

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:33:51 am »
I had the BAHA implant done 2 1/2 weeks ago along with a CSF leak same time.  I was really down about the leak but now I am really excited about the BAHA after all the info you guys gave out.  I should get the proccessor in Jan.  You gave alot of info that I would not have thought of.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:44:55 am »
I had to write something in regards to Nancy. I  have experienced the same situations.
I had a full feeling in my ear but never any hearing loss and after my surgery I am SSD. It is the weirdest feeling. I used to be SO aware of my surroundings and I can not even tell when someone is on my deaf side. I do not feel their presence. Early in my recovery when I started to drive I was almost hit by a train... when I looked in my rear view mirror and realized what had happened I call my husband on my cell phone and cried. It was so scary. I want to do something but the only thing available to us in Canada is the Cros and I really have my heart set on trying the Transear.
I also teach and it is so hard when children are having a conversation with me and I cannot hear a thing on my left side. I am holding out for the Transear to come to Canada but I am really starting to notice how much I miss my hearing (prior to this I have been so preoccupied with my face that I hadn't really paid much attention).
Michelle :'(
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

tenai98

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 10:29:09 am »
Michelle, I'm with you on this one...I also teach but with 16 yr olds how to drive...It is driving me nuts not being able to understand them.  I have to make sure my good ear is with them and not away from them.  I havent even had my surgery yet...I can hear noises but cant distinguish words....VERY FRUSTRATING.....I love my job but I hate the interference this damn tumor is having on my ability to hear...grrrrrrrrrrr.....I have decided on the BAHA..now if only I can convince my ENT....he's against it....I will be asking major questons tomorrow when I see him....stay tuned...

JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:13 am »
I also teach and it is so hard when children are having a conversation with me and I cannot hear a thing on my left side.

Michelle -

I'm not a teacher, but in the twelve months prior to getting my BAHA processor, I was constantly physically moving one of my children from my left (AN) side to my right side when he/she wanted to talk to me.  I would literally use my arm to move him/her to my "good" side.  The other option was to say "I can't hear you on that side" and sometimes my child would move and sometimes he/she would say "never mind".  I felt like I was really missing a lot.

While the BAHA doesn't give me directionality, it does allow me to hear people who are on my SSD side which IMO has been absolutely wonderful.  I no longer have to say "that's my bad ear" and I no longer have to physically move my children, or ask them to repeat what was said, or hear "never mind".

Basically my children and I are a lot less frustrated since my implant.

Jan