Author Topic: Did anyone's Tinnitus go away after Translab surgery????  (Read 10316 times)

Monie

Did anyone's Tinnitus go away after Translab surgery????
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:35:47 pm »
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has experienced loss of tinnitus after translab surgery? My surgeon suggested there is a 50% chance this may happen....He doesn't think 50% is a good enough number to warrant surgery just yet (my T is 1.2 x 1 x .7 cm) and I have already gone nearly completely deaf on the side of the tumour)... he really believes in the conservative approach particularly because of my age and the fact I have two small children. I OK with the idea of waiting (sort of) because I am so terrified of the surgery and the possible aftermath.
Thoughts?
x Monie
Diagnosed Nov 06
1cmx7mmx5mm right side AN
Unsure whether to have surgery or join the wait and watchers???
Have tinnitus, hearing loss, dizziness.
35yo, married to a wonderful man, two beautiful small children
Need to know it will be OK
Live in Queensland, Australia

Yvette

• Yvette
Re: Did anyone's Tinnitus go away after Translab surgery????
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 10:24:32 pm »
Hi Monie,
 That is odd. My tinnitus came after the translab. In the hospital I had crickets chirping, an annoying little boy with a toy plane on the end of a string goin' round and round, and finally the ocean roar. Now 3 mos post op, I have the ocean most of the time to some extent, but I try not to focus on it. Thankfully the little boy took his plane and went home and the crickets followed him! Best wishes, I don't think the docs really know too much about tinnitus anyways. Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 11:19:16 pm »
Monie, Before surgery I had only buzzing at night.  Post op I have definite, hissing, ringing, and buzzing tinnitus.  I noticed this from the 4th or 5th day post op.  It doesn't change, it stays there.  I ignore it.  Sometimes I go into a quiet room and it is better.  So, the tinnitus is related to sound for me.

Bigbear

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 05:26:09 am »
Greetings and Peace from Duxbury

My little 'friend' is about 3mm X 4mm in my left ear, and is causing such intense, screaming noise that I am wondering how long I will be able to stand it.  I am of such compassion with all sufferers of tinnitus (as well, of course, as with the remaing world of sufferings)!

So, first of all, I send you prayers for recovery and relief. 

I am newly diagnosed with this mighty small AN (compared to many), and through this great resource I am diggin my way through the "what next"? I have been to see Dr. Black (B&W) who sez (a) watch & wait, (b) if anything, radiosurgery and (c) there's only a 50% chance that the tinnitus will be mitigated.

I am not thrilled with those odds.

I am walking the alternative medicine path aas well, although my most trusted accupuncturist told me yesterday that while accupuncture is quite good at many things, tinnitus isn't one of them (neither tumor removal!).  Obviously, this is a very individual treatment, as it may work wonders for some. 

Keep the Faith

Bigbear

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 06:10:18 am »
I was told it would stay the same for most people (and it did) . there is a change it could go away... or get worse! ...  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Sam Rush

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 10:07:34 pm »
I didn't have tinnitus pre-op, but have now developed it 2 1/2 yrs post-op trans-lab.  Normal sounds from my good ear are magnified into a roaring sound in my dead ear, very strange. I have started lipo-flavinoids at Dr. Brockmann's suggestion.  I'm trying to ignore it. What helps somewhat is putting an ear plug in my good ear, making me totally deaf, and just using my BAHA for any hearing.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 07:23:08 am »
I didn't have tinnitus before translab....but I sure have it now!  I came out of surgery thinking I could hear because I "heard" what I thought was a huge blow fly buzzing in my AN ear!  I go between buzzing, ringing, roaring and zinging.  Doctors can say to try to ignore it but nine times out of ten they don't have a clue what it is like.  Sometimes it is so loud I can't hear out of my good ear.
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 05:26:04 pm »
Hi everybody,

Just wanted to post what helps me with tinnitus - Gingko Biloba. The brand I use is Ginkoba. I tried Solaray and it works too but Trader Joe's works only partially.

Brief history - I had 6x3x3 cm tumor removed in 1988 and had no hearing loss or tinnitis before surgery. After surgery I woke up to a roaring tinnitus which became slightly better a few months later but was still strong enough to be extremely annoying. I am sure everybody who has it can relate to that. A few years later I decided to try Gingko Biloba to help me with alertness and memory. It helped. My tinnitus was gone as well in two months! Every time I run out of GB, tinnitus comes back in two weeks although weaker that before.

Gingko Biloba is a blood thinner so I cannot take it for three weeks before my upcoming surgery for the recurrence. Those will not be fun.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Dzimy

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 01:30:17 pm »
In my case prior to translab I had very bad tinnitis day and night.  I am 7 months post op and haven't had any severe tinnitis in the last 4 months.  I do sympathize with anyone who suffers from this as it is very disturbing especially at night.  I continue to be on blood thinners as my AN caused a blood clot in brain as well. Donna
Donna, age 61, Stanton, Calif, SSD
2.5 cm AN left side, diagnosed 7/16/06
Translab 9/27/06 Dr. Schwartz & Dr. Fayad. HEI
MRI 11/06( 8 x 8 x 9 mm)
MRI 3/13 (12 x 16 x 15 mm )
11/13 radio-surgery@ Kaiser LA
MRI 12/13/14 (13 x 13 x 13 mm)

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 03:54:04 pm »
HI: I did not have surgery but I did have radiation treatment. And Yeah post radiation I still have the ringing in my ear.  If I have had a stressful day, or driving in the car a lot, it is worse at night. However, for the most part my ringing is a small buzz. Getting a good night sleep alleviates the ear ringing.  And I continue to be amazed at how much background noise drowns out the ringing (especially in the car). Hope this helps- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

tcrnko

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 08:35:42 pm »
A little late in my response time, but....

I had tinnitus before my surgery.  The louder the environment, (meetings, gatherings of people), the worse the tinnitus.  I had translab surgery on Jan 10 07.  Yes, the tinnitus was still there, but no worse than pre-op.  As time has gone by, the tinnitus has gotten less and less.  My docs told me I basically need to retrain my brain to realise that there is no left acoustic nerve to respond to noise.  I explain it a "Phantom sound" like phantom pain in someone that has lost a limb.  The nerve ends still firsending an impulse to the brain.
I lost my hearing in the left ear.  Don't really miss it unless I want to listen to good stereo music.  That depressed my after surgery, but I think that I was reestablishing an emotional balence.  Other things depressed me too.
Good luck on you choice for treatment.  Hope your tinnitus disappears like mine. 8)
"Used to be a Neuro Nurse, Believe it or not."
1.8 x 1.6 x 1.7 AN Left Side
TransLab on 1/10/07.
Drs Mastrodonas & Cueva, Kaiser San Diego

kippy6

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 11:47:52 pm »
I had tinnitus before my surgery. Most of the time it would be a ringing noise in my ear. However, on occasion, it did sound like crickets, or like something electronic. I remember hearing beeping noises after every syllable or word someone would speak on some occasions. That was weird. I thought I was going CRAZY! When it happened, I would just get real quiet. It was a little weird to talk about, as I didn't even know I had a brain tumor, and I wasn't sure what in the world was going on. 

Can you imagine?? "Hey, I hear beeping noises every time you talk.....No, I don't hear them when you stop talking... only when you talk, after each word that you speak...it sounds kind of like electric beeps...yes, I'm feeling fine...I just keep hearing these noises..." I felt like I was being short-circuited at these times!

At any rate, since my surgery I've been tinnitus-free.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:59:06 pm by kippy6 »
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Dzimy

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 01:34:26 pm »
Had tinnitus before translab.  After healing did not have tinnitus for 6 years but have it once again after radiosurgery.
Donna, age 61, Stanton, Calif, SSD
2.5 cm AN left side, diagnosed 7/16/06
Translab 9/27/06 Dr. Schwartz & Dr. Fayad. HEI
MRI 11/06( 8 x 8 x 9 mm)
MRI 3/13 (12 x 16 x 15 mm )
11/13 radio-surgery@ Kaiser LA
MRI 12/13/14 (13 x 13 x 13 mm)