Author Topic: Cornea Tear  (Read 11986 times)

lauralynn

Cornea Tear
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:41:18 pm »
Has anyone had a cornea tear?  If so did you have to go on steriods for it?  My eye doctor has been wanting to implant a gold weight but I've had to cancel the procedure coz I was having severe head pain that day.  So in the mean time I thought my eye was infected and irritated.  But I went to my eye doctor this past Friday and he got mad at me coz I have a cornea tear.  It wasn't my fault! I'm not kidding, he litterally yelled at me.  He stitched my eye (one stitch) and took a culture from my eye.  He then put me on antibiotics and saw me today to see how my eye was doing.  Yesterday it was very painful, today it feels much better.  He looked at it today and said it looked much better.  The problem now is I'm supposed to go out of town to see my boyfriend this Monday for 8 days.  The doctor said I could go but wanted me to shorten my trip.  Well now I don't know what to do.  I'd have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to switch my return date....my spirits have been down so much coz  I have no one here w/ me except for my kids.  My parents are deceased and all my family is in NY.  My boyfriend was transferred from his job to NC.  I'm an emotional wreck, and this little get away I had planned I know would lift my spirits.  I started seeing a counselor so I could have someone to talk to.  I'm just an emoitional mess.  I'm usually such a strong person, but since my surgery I've had continuous set backs.  I see my doctor this monday (7/20).  If he says my eye is fine....I'm leaning towards going to see my boyfriend.  I'll keep ya posted.  Thanks for listening.

LauraLynn   
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

sgerrard

Re: Cornea Tear
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:11 pm »
I would just go on the trip to NC. I'm pretty sure they have doctors there if anything drastic should happen, which it won't. Tell your doctor you will call him. Lifting your spirits is important.

Just take your medicine, and take good care of your eye while you're gone - wear sunglasses outside 8), or spend a lot of time indoors. ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:20:58 am »
I'd say go too!

They do have emergency rooms and doctors in NC!  I know - I've seen them!   :D  Bring lots of drops, ointment and make sure your eye is well gooped up at all times.

Your body can't heal if your spirits are down in the dumps.  I think the benefits of the trip outweigh the risks to your eye.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 12:14:05 pm »
GO!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

tenai98

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 12:30:03 pm »
I'm with the others...GO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

lauralynn

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:16:13 pm »
Thank you so much eveyone for your kind words!  I'm going to start packing!  I see the doctor and he probably won't be thrilled w/ my decision, but he never did say I coulsn'nt go.  I will keep you  posted while I'm in NC.  Thanks again everyone!

Love,
Laura Lynn :)
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter

God Bless everyone

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:25:40 pm »
Laura Lynn ~

Godspeed - and enjoy your trip to beautiful North Carolina.  I hope it'll rejuvenate your spirits.  You deserve it.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 02:27:59 pm »
Have a mahvalous time, Dahlin'!  Lots of hugs and kisses to rejuvenate the spirit is my Rx for U.  Post pics!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 03:51:26 pm »
Don't eyes heal faster than any other part of the body anyway...I really think I have heard that...seriously.  I have had MANY cornea problems and it has never slowed me down - the red eye is a bit of an unpleasant thing but I say GO!!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Ellenmn

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 04:08:41 pm »
I say Go also and have a great time. I was having a lot of problems with my eye and when I went to the eye doctor my doctor recommended I had a Cornea Ulcer and a small tear as well. I had to wear an eye patch for several months and put an antibiotic ointment in my eye twice a day. (CILOXAN 0.3% OPHTH OINT (EYE) 3.5GM) about 3 days after I saw the eye doctor I left of a long weekend trip. The only problem I had was all the looks I got.

The ointment was they only thing I got though.

Vivian B.

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 04:43:55 pm »
Hi Lauralynn,

I am with the others. Have a good tirp.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

lauralynn

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 05:49:04 pm »
Thank you everyone! You are so sweet.  I do have to check in w/ the dr. tomorrow before I leave.  I'm packing as we speak and I'm soooooo excited!  I will keep in touch so you know how me and my eye are doing. 

Love,
Laura
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter

God Bless everyone

Jeanlea

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 05:58:13 pm »
You could also ask the doctor to give you a prescription for your eye if it should get worse while you are gone.  I scratched my cornea and had to use erythromic and ciloxan.  Good luck on your trip.  You can always see another eye doctor. That's what you would have to do if your eye doctor went on vacation.  I had that happen to me.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

teffaz

• We read to know we're not alone.
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 08:00:51 pm »
Laura,
Thanks for our talk on the phone! Have a fabulous trip and enjoy that beautiful North Carolina scenery. You deserve the best vacation in the world!

Love,
Brenda (Teff)
1.5 cm. x .5 cm AN
translab May 2009
SSD (before surgery as well as after)
grateful for incredible surgeons: Dr. Porter & Dr. Syms
Barrow Neurological Institute; Phoenix

Keri

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 08:50:50 pm »
Laura,
I also agree with everyone else and hope you have a great trip and it just overall makes you feel better.
Keep us posted on how you're doing - I know you've had some challenges.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!