Author Topic: Completely Freaked  (Read 4530 times)

dlbenz

• Comcast Sportsnet
Re: Completely Freaked
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 09:11:59 am »
Just spoke with my doctor.  My AN is 1.2cm at its largest diameter.  He says this is considered small.  Is it?  Does anyone out there have a history with a similar size? 
1.4 cm AN removed 6/26/2008 by Dr. Derald Brackmann (House Clinic) at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA.  10-15% hearing loss in left (AN) ear.  Very slight facial paralysis on left side of face.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 09:20:42 am »
Hi dl and welcome.. and congrats on the "new addition" news!  What lovely news! :)

Yes, 1.2cm is deemed small-ish en route to medium.... mine was 1cm at time of treatment, so not far off from your's (please know that head MRI's have a margin of error in tumor sizing of +/- 2mm...so, your's could be anywhere between 1cm and 1.4cm....)

Again, welcome... hoping you find answers here that you seek. I know you already have the support of many :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 12:39:13 pm »
Hi dl and welcome!  I don't have much to offer as far as info on radiation, since I had translab, but wanted to say congrats to you and your wife!  At least you got some wonderful news mixed in with the bad.

Sounds like you have lots of time to do some research and it helps to have a doctor in the family to help make sense of some of this stuff.  Good luck to you and keep us posted.

How 'bout them Yankees???   ;D

Lori
p.s.  Happy Birthday to LADavid!!  Hope you had a good one (or have a good one... ???)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 12:59:07 pm »
By the way, congratulations on your first child!  My beautiful 25 year old daughter just treated me to brunch today for Easter and my birthday.  You will have these great things to look forward to.

Happy Birthday!  Aren't daughters wonderful!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 02:14:06 pm »
Hi, dlbenz:

I'm sorry that you have an acoustic neuroma but glad you discovered this great website and decided to post on the forum.  I think you'll find it invaluable for practical information as well as a good place to vent (we all have those days) and/or stay connected with folks from all walks of life, from all over, including Europe, Australia and elsewhere who can empathize with your situation.

I'm a retired radio broadcaster.  My AN was discovered just a year after I left the business, so it wasn't a factor.  I'm deaf in one ear but it was a very gradual loss .  I attributed my loss of hearing to listening through (usually loud) headphones for hours a day for 25 years.  I did wonder why only one ear was affected but shrugged it off until other symptoms manifested themself (imbalance, intermittent stabbing pain on the 'AN side', loss of my sense of taste).  When I finally saw a my primary care physician, he thought my taste loss was possibly a thyroid condition.  Tests ruled that out so he cut to the chase and ordered an MRI.  The scan showed a 4.5cm AN.  I quickly located a great neurosurgeon and had debulking surgery less than a month later. Three months after that, I underwent FSR (26 treatments) which were successful, as my signature (in italics, at the bottom of this post) shows.  Radiation is very sophisticated these days.  My radiologist said that I might lose some hair where the beams were concentrated.  Then he said he had re-adjusted the dose and I wouldn't lose any hair.  I didn't...and had no problems with the radiation, either, unless you count boredom.  My hearing is still absent in one ear and I doubt it will be coming back.  However, my neurosurgeon still checks it during my semi-annual visits, which is encouraging,as the nerve wasn't cut.  Still, I've fully adjusted to SSD (Singe Sided Deafness) and it isn't a major impediment to my lifestyle, just a minor annoyance, at most.  Its amazing how we can adjust to physical changes that we can't control. 

I'm not a physician but you sound like you'll be a good candidate for radiation (Gamma Knife?).  If so, you probably already know that it's non-invasive and quite successful in stopping and eventually killing acoustic neuromas. Some level of hearing is often preserved, although that can not be guaranteed.  You'll need to gather more information and consult with doctors/radiologists and so on.  It's tedious but necessary.  Fortunately, AN's tend to grow very s-l-o-w-l-y, so there's no rush, except for your own sense of urgency in dealing with this pesky tumor.  We may be able to help.  As someone who had a successful outcome to surgery and radiation I advise you to choose your surgeon/radiologist very carefully.   There should be some very good doctors, familiar with acoustic neuromas, in your area.  As another poster noted, you can always have the radiation performed in Manhattan, if necessary.  It probably won't be necessary but a nice option to have, all the same. 

I wish you the best and hope you'll stay connected to this site snd forum.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 07:18:07 pm »
LADavid -

adding to the birthday wishes  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

robynabc

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 10:11:10 pm »
HI,

Sorry to hear about your AN.  I am the parent of an 18 year old with a VERY VERY LARGE AN. (Read profile) ANd of course your predicament doesn't sound as bad as our situation.  You do have some time to decide what to do.  I would say that when you do your research, find out what other doctors say about the physician you pick.  It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to find a hospital and doctors that specialize in this treatment.  The other good news is that because your tumor is small you have a very good chance of saving your facial nerve.  I have heard upwards of 98% when you go with doctors that have done many hundreds of the procedures.  I would ask your ENT what doctor they think is the best. Ask who they would go with if they had an AN.  I found that to be the best way to guage a doctor.    I don't know alot about GK but I am sure it is easier than surgery.  But if you do have surgery with a good facility and doctors your prognosis is probably very good.  Good luck.  The hardest part is the research.  This site is fantastic for that.  There are many great people on here that know what they are talking about. 

Sending Sunshine.

Robyn
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.