Author Topic: just finished CK  (Read 2951 times)

Susan B

just finished CK
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:46:09 am »
Sorry I haven't written as much as others since I got a lot of info from reading others posts. I did report my panic during my first session. The other two went much smoother. I was disappointed to hear that the MRI at 3 months post CK would not give definitive results due to possible swelling.I am wondering when people first felt their CK was successful. I do appreciate this support site even if I didn't personally communicate on it.
Thanks for being there,
Susan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: just finished CK
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:09:47 am »
Susan,

First, congrats on now being a "toastie postie"! Well done! I know the first day was rough but glad you were able to withstand the rest of the treatments and now... on the road to booger death! :)

Will only state what worked in my case.... I had my CK almost 4 years ago.....  self-education was key for me. I did all of my homework in advance.... in knowing that there were approx timeframes that things could/would/may occur.  Now, bearing in mind that "individual results may vary", I knew by doing my pre-CK homework that swelling could/could not occur in certain timeframes... that things could/would/may crop up in certain timeframes... and that post-treatment MRI's could/would/may show certain things in certain timeframes.  I know, by doing my homework, that the immediate post-CK MRI's could/should/may show indicators of the radiation working. 

For me, the indicators really started to show approx 9 mos.  Some here have reported sooner... some have reported later.  Another CK patient here, Mark, reminded me that the docs also note that its in all the timing of the MRI... and if it catches indicators occurring at the time of the MRI.... so, as an example, the 9 mos MRI (for me) may have had indicators of necrosis or the MRI time-frame could have missed it or waiting for it to occur.  It's all in the timing if the MRI can catch it.

There have been discussions here (and on the CK forums) about the "waiting game".  True mental strength has to come into play as radio patients do not get "instant answers" for the treatment (unlike surgical patients, even though things can crop up down the road ie: facial issues, etc).    Trying to drum up the mental strength can be a challenge but know this... this is why we are all here... to help support each other through the processes. 

Many here that have met me face to face (or talk to me from the WTT list) have learned that I have an extreme amt of mental strength.  Not to say that there aren't days that I am not strong..... but you and me and everyone else is certainly entitled to have days that we are not Strong. But, I reminded myself that I have folks here that will help keep me held up strong when I have days that I don't feel strong.

So, remember that you can count on us... we're here to help the process. It's now a matter of hanging tough....  believing in what you have done (never look back or question "did I do the right thing?") as you have chosen what you have felt is best for you at the time of your decision.  Know that we are here for you.

Again, welcome to Postiehood!  Well done!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:49:13 am »
Congrats, Susan  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Susan B

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:27:06 pm »
Thank you for the encouragement particularly about not second guessing which I started to do everytime I felt a twinge of a headache these past couple of days. Patience unfortunately is not a strong suite for me but it doesn't seem I have a choice here. I was encouraged by docs not to do too much wait and see since it was already 2.5cm and I didn't want surgery. I still think I made the right choice I just wish there was a way to confirm that sooner.
Susan

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:35:55 pm »
I still think I made the right choice I just wish there was a way to confirm that sooner.

Susan,

A VERY realistic emotion that radio patients endure... we want answers now but have to wait. The truly toughest part (IMO) of the radio process.  Immediate answers but we wait.... and see how it goes.  Trust me... even after almost 4 yrs, I still note to myself "is the sucker done doing its evil deed?"  But, MRI's and after affects (or in my case, lack of after affects) and films showing mine has shrunk, etc keep reminding me that I did the right thing for me and there is proof that my decision has paid off.  You, too, will have the time to sit back, reflect and know you did what was right for you... and in the long run, may you have the same outcome as so many others (like myself) that  can sit back and say "yeppers, its a done deal!" :)

May you follow in my footsteps with wellness... I'm sending the good vibes your way! :)  Just hang tough in the days and months to come. Your homework has shown that things may or may not crop up..... so be strong... and when you feel you are having a day that you aren't feeling so strong, it's ok... allow yourself to experience it and also know, we all got your back! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 01:56:01 pm »
Hi, Susan ~

My intrepid fellow moderator, Phyl, has offered pertinent, cogent advice about CK recovery that I know you appreciate.  Having little personal knowledge of CK dynamics, I'll simply offer my congratulations on your successful completion of the treatment. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:51:02 pm »
Hi Susan,

Congratulations on getting your CK done. As you know, you have to wait a while, so it is worth remembering that most radiation treatments work out well. If you are like many of us, you will have a bout of something or other, maybe 3 to 6 months out. For me it felt like a really, really bad cold. That is no reason to panic, it is just the tumor in its death throes. I felt pretty good about it after my 6 month MRI, felt better physically around 9 months, and felt like it was over by the 12 month MRI. It is still over. :)

Best wishes for a good 2010.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.