Author Topic: AN Surgery and Diabetes  (Read 1468 times)

patdel

AN Surgery and Diabetes
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:57:27 pm »
I had successful AN surgery two years ago.  I had 1.5 cm tumor removed  by Dr. Fukishima, retrosigmoid surgery. While in the hospital, my sugar levels were very high as was my bp. They were giving me steroids to avoid brain swelling and insulin. Once I came home, both stopped and the healing began. I did well and am back to normal, minus left hearing.  However, in April my sugar was a little high so the dr. did an A1C test and it showed I am pre-diabetic. I was floored to say the least. There is no family history of diabetes, I exercise daily, and was not overweight.  I have since lost 20 lbs. by adjusting my diet.(I now weigh less that I did at 30)I was testing my fasting glucose daily but have started to test every other day. My sugar isn't out of control but high normal. I can't figure it out. All the reading I've done say life-style changes will help or eliminate this dreaded disease.  Needless to say, it hasn't.   I am starting to think perhaps the AN surgery triggered something. I looked up on this site and did see some info. on it.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is very disheartening to deal with this disease since I can eat the same thing two days in a row and one day my sugar is good and the next not. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Pat
Pat

Cheryl R

Re: AN Surgery and Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:55:27 am »
Pat, Sounds like you are doing nothing wrong.     We can not always predict what the body will do.     I am now diabetic and have not mentioned it on here before and am not on my Facebook.      I am overweight and had a father and aunts who were diabetic.     I was 60 before mine showed up.     This was 2 months ago.   There was a big conference in Des Moines from something called Take Control of Your Diabetes.          www.tcoyd.org            I am a retired nurse with knowledge about diabetes but it is still different being on the other side.  Just like being an ANer!       The speakers at the conference even talked about how the blood sugar can be up with no known reason why on some days.    I am on the lowest dose of medication and have lost 9#.                      Being able to stay off medication sounds like a good possibility for you.    It is hard to not eat foods that one likes.         It is more now where one can eat some  in small amounts than what was told diabetics in the past.                           The conference I went to was only in a few big cities around the country so I feel lucky to have got to go to it.        The steroids do increase a blood sugar along with if one is sick for what ever reason, colds, infections etc.   
                               Hope this is of some help to you.                                      Cheryl R       
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care