Author Topic: Gamma Knife 1 year post surgery  (Read 3682 times)

Mlamb

Gamma Knife 1 year post surgery
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:14:37 am »
Hi Everyone.

I had surgery a little over a year ago to remove my 3cm trigeminal Schwannoma. Dr. Sisti left behind basically half the tumor  (located in the Meckel's Cave).  He only removed the portion that was laying on the brain stem. He never really gave a good reason for leaving it behind but I think it had something to do with a mistake in the initial pathology. However, that's not the point now. I wanted to ask if anyone had Gamma Knife with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Kindziolka especially after having had surgery?  How was your outcome?  My post surgical issues include complete numbness of left forehead, left cornea totally numb and partial numbness of the side of nose, cheek and upper lip and upper teeth. Basically the only part of my face not effected is my lower jaw. Any advice?  I am scheduled for Gamma Knife in April with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Kindziolka working as a team.

Glupson

Re: Gamma Knife 1 year post surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:20:00 am »
Hi Everyone.

I had surgery a little over a year ago to remove my 3cm trigeminal Schwannoma. Dr. Sisti left behind basically half the tumor  (located in the Meckel's Cave).  He only removed the portion that was laying on the brain stem. He never really gave a good reason for leaving it behind but I think it had something to do with a mistake in the initial pathology. However, that's not the point now. I wanted to ask if anyone had Gamma Knife with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Kindziolka especially after having had surgery?  How was your outcome?  My post surgical issues include complete numbness of left forehead, left cornea totally numb and partial numbness of the side of nose, cheek and upper lip and upper teeth. Basically the only part of my face not effected is my lower jaw. Any advice?  I am scheduled for Gamma Knife in April with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Kindziolka working as a team.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with trigeminal schwannoma, which was "roasted" by GK eleven months ago, but without any surgery before it. It is quite rare, the TSch, less than 1% of all brain/head nerve tumors. So, the traitements are based on vestibular neuroma experience.

Good luck for your GM!

Patti

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:20:56 am »
I have had those same facial problems, and more, since my first surgery 15 years ago.  I just had SRS for a regrowth. I don't think there is any more damage that can be done for me so the goal is to just stop the growth.  Good luck to you.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 06:26:22 pm »

I had surgery a little over a year ago to remove my 3cm trigeminal Schwannoma. Dr. Sisti left behind basically half the tumor  (located in the Meckel's Cave).  He only removed the portion that was laying on the brain stem. He never really gave a good reason for leaving it behind but I think it had something to do with a mistake in the initial pathology. However, that's not the point now.

A mistake? Sure, it's the point. You are likely still within the statute of limitation for a medical malpractice lawsuit. If the doctor made a mistake that resulted in damage to you, you are entitled to compensation. Consult a medical malpractice attorney. There's no need to treat a doctor with kid gloves just because he happens to "benevolently" specialize in our brand of medical condition.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0