Author Topic: Has anyone been fitted for a transear at Yale?  (Read 2894 times)

solecleansing

Has anyone been fitted for a transear at Yale?
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:38:21 pm »
I went to Yale for an initial consultation for a transear. The audiologist informed me that the transear can be very painful because it has to be seated all the way down to the bone.  Any information or comments would be appreciated.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Has anyone been fitted for a transear at Yale?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 09:08:07 am »
Sounds like someone who isn't at all familiar with the TransEar!

I originally went to the audiology dept at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, figuring that one of the best institutions in the world would be a good place to ask about the newest technologies.  I was basically told that TransEar is nothing but a marketing gimmick, that everyone who gets one hates it, and that I have one good ear so that's really all I need.  (I was more than livid when I left, since I knew many people who used TE and loved it.)

I have since found another audiologist who was happy to help me get a TransEar, and I'm so happy that I did!

My experience is that making the original mold is ever-so-slightly uncomfortable (as they shove the mold material into your ear canal), but not in the least painful.  And if your TransEar is causing any pain whatsoever, that means the fit isn't right.  When the fit is right, it'll fit snugly but it won't hurt in the least.  You might feel some tickly vibrations, but that's it.

You can contact the company that makes TransEar and they'll provide a list of local audiologists who have already worked with the TransEar.  That's how I found the woman I worked with.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 11:00:39 am »
I found that there was a "break in" period with my TransEar. My ear getting " broken in".

I had to have it sanded down in a few spots by my audiologist. There was a little pain or discomfort originally. Once my ear toughend up it's been fine. I give my ear a day of rest during the week and I only wear it from sun up till sun down one or two days a week.

That being said, I'm very happy with it. I find that I don't need to have people repeat themselves that much when I'm wearing it.
When I'm not wearing my TransEar every other reply from me is "What?"

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 01:28:34 pm »
I would contact someone at TransEar and ask them to help you find an audiologist in your area.  I've had my TransEar for 17 months now and I love it.  My impression was so good that I've never needed any adjustments.  It fit perfectly the very first time.  It helps to have an audiologists who is good at taking deep impressions.  I've worn mine pretty much every day all day long ever since I've had it.  It is so comfortable that there have been several times when I've gotten into bed and laid on it before I remembered to take it out.  It seems to me that I'm gaining more sound from it as time goes on.  I think my brain must be adjusting to it. 

Good luck in your further research.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:25:18 pm »
Although I opted for a BAHA, I've basically heard nothing but good things about the Transear.  Those who have them, seem to really like them.

The only negative things I have heard are 1) they can be hard to fit (an audiologist told me this) and 2) there are sometimes problems with the wiring (I read this numerous times on this forum).

Isn't there a member of this forum who actually works for Transear?  I could be wrong, but I thought it was "TransEarXpert"   ???

You might want to check out his profile for email information - or you could PM him for information.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:04:04 am »
Jan, I'm here, but I've been doing more lurking than contributing lately - because there are so many "TransEarXperts" who are knowledgeable and regular contributors. I'll jump in on the "hard to fit" label. I'd prefer to say "different to fit," because TransEar is a hearing aid that is not acoustic. That throws some otherwise capable audiologists and dispensers for a loop, and if they are set in their ways and "know everything already" (as reported numerous times by members here), they are sometimes closed-minded and difficult to train. In fairness, they spend 99% of their time with air conduction hearing aids, so taking time to learn about the other 1% would be hard on any of us.

That having been said, most audiologists are driven to help their patients, even though it might mean learning new tricks. To be fit with TransEar, once a hearing evaluation supports candidacy, the audiologist will take two impressions of the dead ear with a squishy silicone material that firms up in a few minutes. Once removed, it is exactly the shape of the ear canal at that point in time. When we receive the order, we choose the best impression of the two, trim it, then scan it with a 3D, non-contact scanner. The scanned image is manipulated in special software that would fit into a Star Wars episode, then sent to a machine where it is crafted from liquid plastic by a laser beam into an exact replica of your ear. We then take the shell (which we call a transfer unit), embed our transducer/vibrator in it, add the faceplate and connectors, and send it to another part of our lab where it is tested with the processor and connector wires on an artificial mastoid. Of course, that's the short and simple version, but it works as an overview.

Note my use of the words "at that point in time" in the paragraph above. That's because ear canals can change shape, especially when chewing or talking, so even though the impressions taken by the audiologist are exact replicas, when you go in for your TransEar fitting the ear canal might have changed ever so slightly. Since the business end of TransEar sits against the bone, those slight changes in size can squeeze that 0.2 mm (8/1000") layer of skin against the bone, causing discomfort - usually at a single point. The audiologist then takes a special sandpaper we provide and removes a tiny bit of the shell at that spot, and that typically eliminates the discomfort without compromising bone contact.

Sometimes a TransEar user will leave the office with a comfortable fit, then develop a sore spot or spots a few days later. This is generally a sign of the ear canal changing size or direction when talking or chewing, and we recommend returning to the audiologist for fine-tuning of the fit. If the discomfort level is high, do not continue wearing the TransEar, but DO put it back in an hour or so before seeing the audiologist. The presence of a red/sore spot will allow them to see the precise point where pain is occurring, making the adjustment very easy. Every user is different, and there are some who simply can't stand anything in their ear, or who don't have the physical dexterity to insert the transfer unit, or who don't have an audiologist with the time or patience to work through any issues that arise.

I've left out programming of the digital processor, which should occur at the first fitting, and it can be adjusted by the provider at any time. Adjusting the internal volume, which controls how much vibration is provided, is the recommended first step, following by "shaping" the frequencies to the user's preference for more or less volume at any of the 12 adjustable frequencies. (Typical users will only notice adjustments to 6 or 7 of those.) So once the provider gets the hang of it and realizes that it is different from their normal programming, an experienced TransEar fitter can complete programming in as little as ten minutes.

Solecleansing, I've probably given you more than you wanted, but that's how I see fitting a TransEar, and it is consistent with how we train audiologists who are fitting TransEar for the first time (and who want to be trained).

Best regards,

Rick Gilbert
VP & GM of Ear Technology Corp/TransEar

Cynaburst

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 12:20:39 pm »
I have had my Transear for a 14 months or so.  Although I had to have it adjusted a little bit in the beginning, it has been no problem since then, though I agree with the poster who said that it takes a week or so for the ear to tough up.  I had a few weeks where I couldn't wear my Transear because the wire broke, and when I got it back, I had to break my ear in again by using the Aura Gel to ease the friction -- otherwise it was uncomfortable.  After a few weeks, I am back to normal and can use the aid without the gel.