Author Topic: Returning to work after GK procedure  (Read 6447 times)

HisHands

Returning to work after GK procedure
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »
 ??? I'm new to this site as of today.  I live in Mississippi and found out a few weeks ago that I have 2cm AN on left side attached to facial nerve.  Only symptons were occasional involuntary facial twitches & tinnitus.  Just had first appointment yesterday in Jackson with Dr. House who received special certification from House Ear Institute in CA (no relationship with House Institute; just same name).  I'm scheduled for GK in a few weeks on a Friday.  I'm learning so much from this site, but it was a God-send to find Jackson, MS experience; I've been so worried.  I just don't know what to expect, but I'm so thankful to have found this site; I still have sooo many questions.  To all reading this post:  I may still be optimistic, but is it wishful thinking that I can have GK on a Friday and return to work the following Monday? (I have more of a desk job in a private office that will allow me to rest if necessary).  Emma
Emma
1.5 x 1.5 x 2cm AN in left ear;  MRI 11/16/2011;  GK on 12/16/11

...In Your hand is power and might and Your hand gives strength to all.... I Chronicles 29:12

frenchjoey

Re: Returning to work after GK procedure
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:15:42 am »
Hello and welcome to this forum!
I had GK treatment on a Monday and I went to my first meeting at work on the Thursday. Same thing for a gentleman who had GK on the same day as me although he has a very physically demanding job. You may feel a bit tired but I honestly think it isn't going to be a problem for you specially if you work in an environment where you can take a few minutes now and again to sit back and have some time to yourself
Best of luck!
Joey

HisHands

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:48:55 am »
Thank you so much for your reply; it has given me peace of mind.  I'm not telling anyone at work other than an assistant.  I'm hoping that even six months out that side effects will be minimum.  Still very optimistic all will be well.  Thanks again and I look forward to learning more on this forum.
Emma

...In Your hand is power and might and Your hand gives strength to all.... I Chronicles 29:12

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »
hi there - sorry to hear about your tumour, and hope your gk goes smoothly.
without wanting to be unecessarily gloomy but wanting to give you as much info as possible - although many people do go directly back to work - it is highly variable how our bodies respond.
i happened not to be at work when i had my radiosurgery, and would not have been up to returning for at least a couple of weeks. i was acutely wobbly, needing to hold on to walk, very tired needing to lie down after minor exertion, and even if i had not told anyone they would have been able to see something had happened as one side of my face was swollen from the pins and my eyebrows were paralysed! i also had a lot of headache for some weeks. i did not appreciate how affected i might be so it was a bit of a shock to find myself so incapacitated. those symptoms settled largely by 2 weeks when i went on a cottage holiday but i was still quite fatigued at that point and spent  a lot of time reading while my family explored.
i subsequently developed tumour swelling and lots of symptoms came along with that - but that is something most people do escape.
best wishes,
vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

sharondaniels

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »
This is to Emma~  I had GK on Thursday Dec. 1st.  I took off Friday and the weekend.  I returned to work on Monday.  I just rested the weekend and took it easy, but no real issues other than a headache.  Good Luck!! ::)
Sharon
 1.5cm AN right side diagnosed 10/12/11
 GK 12/1/11 at UVA
from VA

HisHands

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:27:13 am »
Vikki, I do appreciate the sharing of your experience.  My primary concern is probably the same as everyone's.....Fear of the unknown.  Although I'm in good physical shape, I don't know how my body will respond to the treatment.  My faith in God is helping to calm the "Fear-of-the-unknown" when it creeps into my mind and makes me worry.  I still haven't made this issue known at work and hearing about your experience just confirms that I need to continue building up my faith and take one day at a time.  It makes me realize that I need to have a plan in place should my experience takes me in a different direction.  I haven't thought about the swelling from the pins in the head, so that would be very obvious.  Hope all is going well with you and thanks again for sharing.  Emma
Emma

HisHands

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 08:38:17 am »
Hello and welcome to this forum!
I had GK treatment on a Monday and I went to my first meeting at work on the Thursday. Same thing for a gentleman who had GK on the same day as me although he has a very physically demanding job. You may feel a bit tired but I honestly think it isn't going to be a problem for you specially if you work in an environment where you can take a few minutes now and again to sit back and have some time to yourself
Best of luck!
Joey
What an encouragement to hear your experience and thank you!!  My treatment will be next Thursday and I have a meeting on the following Monday morning.  Already changing hairstyles using bangs to cover spots where pins are inserted in the forehead  :)  Hopefully they won't swell and cause paralysis of any kind.... I'm not a vain person, but still trying to keep this issue unknown at work.  I'm a very private person and I think this just adds to the dilemma.  Emma
Emma

sharondaniels

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 12:33:33 pm »
Emma~
I barely had any swelling at all at the site of the front two pins... I think I was the only one who noticed it at home!!  By two/three days out the spots were all but gone.  I mean....they really are small dots!!  You probably won't even need to change up your style... I didn't. 
Sharon
 1.5cm AN right side diagnosed 10/12/11
 GK 12/1/11 at UVA
from VA

frenchjoey

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 02:11:24 pm »
Hi Emma!
In fact I forgot to mention that I did have a bit of swelling above one eyebrow but I have a fringe so that took care of the problem.

My eyelid was sort of blueish (very very slightly) but nothing that I couldn't disguise with a bit of eye shadow, and also, I wear glasses. Unlike you I had told people where I work about the GK I was having but to my great disappointment no one noticed there was anything wrong with my face .... not even my students and believe me they do stare at teachers all the time.
So ... nothing to worry about  8)
Please let us know how you get on on Thursday!

Bye for now
Joey

HisHands

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 07:22:56 pm »
Sharon and Joey,  Can't thank you enough for the comments.  My husband was happy to see me smile over the hair and pin holes concern.  He found it amazing that someone would care enough to comment on something so minor.  I think he's seen me cry enough  :'( although very few tears will flow from my left eye.  Again, thanks to everyone for the encouragement and I will post results after GK next week.  Emma
Emma

mattsmum

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:56 pm »
wishing you all the best for next week,
vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

HisHands

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 07:48:43 pm »
Just a quick note to let everyone know my GK experience this past Friday went extremely well.  I will be returning to work in the morning and continue to pray for the healing process.  I'm so appreciative of all the advice and sharing of personal experiences on this forum.  The pin holes are not noticeable - as many of you can now say "I told you so"  :D   I'm only experiencing mild headaches and just a little fatigue.  Prior to GK, I was facing "fear of the unknown".... Post GK, it's still "fear of the unknown" but it's with a different attitude.  This morning I told my husband that I just don't know what to expect going forward and his reply was "You expect your healing through your faith that has sustained you through good times and bad"...   couldn't say it better!  Thanks to all for your support and I will continue posting my healing process.  Emma
Emma

frenchjoey

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 11:50:59 am »
Hello Emma!

Sooooo glad to hear everything went well! See.... I told you so  :D
Enjoy Christmas with your loved ones.
Best wishes
Joey

Seamar

• Age 74
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 02:49:33 pm »
I say your husband's a keeper.  Great news!

Cheers!
            C-Mar
7mmx1.2cmx5mm left AN
GK 10/27/11 with  Drs Golfinos, Rush and Han @ NYU Langone Medical Center

Relax...God is in control.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 04:17:11 pm »
Emma ~

Congratulations on successfully completing the Gamma Knife experience!  I trust that you'll take your husband's wise words to heart. I also hope that your recovery is both swift and complete.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.