Author Topic: 3T Open vs Closed MRI  (Read 6540 times)

iluuvpups

3T Open vs Closed MRI
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:30:18 am »
Hi.  I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference in getting a 3T MRI on an open-bore machine vs. a closed 3T machine?  I haven't been able to find much about this on the web.  I talked to an MRI technician who said she didn't think there was much of a difference, except that the 3T open-bore has a 10cm distance from the patient because it's not as closed in as the closed 3T machine.  I'd like to consider the 3T open-bore machine due to my large size and because I'm claustrophobic.  I just want to make sure I won't be getting anything less from the open-bore machine.  If you have any information on this or suggestions on where I might look, I'd appreciate your comments.  Thanks much.  --Carol Ann

P.S.  "Open-bore" is not the same thing as an "open" MRI.  An open MRI is much lower in strength than even a regular 1.5T machine. An open-bore machine is 2x the strength of the standard 1.5T machine.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Re: 3T Open vs Closed MRI
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:47:18 am »
If you are claustrophobic then you need to go with the Open MRI. I just had my follow-up MRI on Monday and my sholders were touching the inside of the tube.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

JLR

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »
Hi When I had my MRI for the CK mapping..I was originially freaked out at the thought of being so closed in....I did research and found that at the facility where it was scheduled, it did indeed use the new "Short-bore open feel high field strength 1.5 tesla phillips mri."  It was truly a piece of cake!   Short bore meaning I was not totally closed in. My legs were totally out of the machine and the machine was wide.. I had plenty of room. And since it is a short bore there was plenty of light coming in behind me.  Hope that helps, Good luck, Joan

C Bourne

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:28:31 pm »
Sorry, I can't comment on the different 3T machines, but I can relate to the claustrophobia.  I have really bad claustrophobia (I hate elevators, avoid revolving doors, and can't be in full darkness), so I take 2-3mg Attivan (lorazepam) for all of my MRIs (which are in a traditional closed machine), and had to take it for every radiation session (25) because of the mask.  It also helps with the MRI that they have this 'viewer' they attach to the head cage which has angled mirrors so when I'm looking up, I can actually see out the MRI tube and see the room and everything.

-Cyndi-
Jun '09 - Left AN diagnosed 14mm
May '10 - FSR via Novalis (25 sessions) Foothills Hospital, Calgary. Deemed successful!
Aug '13 - facial pain - diagnosed w/ Trigeminal Neuralgia caused by AN crushing Tri nerve
Oct 26/15 - Retrosigmoid surgery - partial AN removal. Facial impact hoping short-term.