Author Topic: Treatment in Minnesota  (Read 2147 times)

clere

Treatment in Minnesota
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:31:38 pm »
I was diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma at Mayo in Rochester, MN this summer. I had an MRI in my hometown in 2008 and drs. did not see anything on the scan.  This summer I went to Mayo to see if there was anything that could be done for my hearing. Took my old MRI with me and ENT at Mayo said there was a tumor about 3mm in my cochlea.  Did another MRI at Mayo and it has about doubled in size.  I am leaning towards surgery as I think I would feel better if I knew it was totally gone, but would like to hear people's experiences with radiation/ radiosurgery in Minnesota. I am worried that we don't know how long it has been growing; has it been growing slowly over the last 5 years or has it been quickly growing for a shorter time.  I have not had hearing in that ear for at least 5 years.
Thanks for any information you can provide.

nftwoed

Re: Treatment in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »
Hello clere;

Maybe you know Dr. Link is the head of Mayo's GK Dept? Dr. and I felt the other radiation forms were developed mostly to gain a market share and satisfy theoretical ideation.
   Seems with a small AN as that, and in the cochlea and deaf, a radiation form using a linear accelerator ( FSR, CK ) 'may' not be to any advantage. There does exist Proton Beam, but, to me, that doesn't seem necessary your situation.
   I believe to know Dr. Link well enough, he would tell you your best option; Even if that is not at Mayo.
   Is it true the main point is to stop tumor growth of the now, 6 mm. AN??