Author Topic: New Member from Ill  (Read 6334 times)

Ellenmn

Re: New Member from Ill
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 06:31:32 pm »
Hi Ellen,

Like Ann said, "...kick back and let the doctors do their job."  Glad you made a decision and I'm glad it's the "right" decision for you!  I grew up in LaGrange and when married, moved to Hinsdale.  Back when my husband and I lived in Hinsdale the hospital's reputation was impeccable and I have no doubt this has not changed.  All the best to you and I'll be watching for your post when you are considered a "postie".  As for the wig, this all depends on your need for one, but skull caps and scarves worked well for me. 

I actually consider my self a prepo (pre surgery post Radiation) In a little over a month I'll be a popo  ;D

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 04:14:51 pm »
Ellen: good luck- sorry you had the "regrowth issue"- I really can't add anything else that is pertinent- just know I will be thinking of you- Take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Boppie

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 04:54:39 pm »
Ellen, you won't need a wig for the translab incision.  YOu wouldn't wear one until the incision is healed anyway because you want the air to get to the area.  Hair grows in at one half inch a month.  My friend who had Translab and a BAHA implant felt worse about her implant shield on her head that she did about her T scar.  The nurses will pin up/back your hair and shave under the roots to give you a flap of good hair above that covers the incision.  You can make yur plea aabout not getting wild with the shaving when they get you on the gurney at pre op prep.  If you want me to shoot you a jpeg of my incision with short hair I can send it.  Just give me an email address.

Ellenmn

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 05:38:32 am »
Thank you for your input on the wig issue your comments have helped me make a decision. Because I have colored my hair for years to cover the gray( :o vanity I know) the regrowth will not even be close to the color I have now. I have worn my hair on the short side for years so I don't have long enough hair to cover a scar or hide a different color regrowth. What I think I will do is have it cut even shorter the night before surgery and let it all grow out with my natural color for awhile and use a hat or a scarf for cover if I need it. I can always add the wig later if I think it necessary.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 11:08:43 am »
Ellen,

I had long hair, past my shoulders, BT (before tumor) and one month before surgery I had my hairdresser cut my hair short so the change wouldn't be too drastic.  AT (after tumor), about 5 weeks, I went in to my hairdresser so he could "even out" the style.  When he finished I had a very spikey "doo" that I kept up until recent and am "biting the 2-year bullet" to let my hair long.  I have never colored my hair and friends and family have watched the change in my brown to grey gradually.  I take pride in my grey and do not hide my aging process in hopes other women will have a positive attitude towards aging.  It's time women realise we look better when we don't try to hide our getting older.  Looking good comes from within, it's infectious to those around you.  Besides, the $$ I have saved over the years I put to buying good shoes  ;) 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear