Author Topic: My 1st post op MRI  (Read 2087 times)

Lainie181818

My 1st post op MRI
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:02:50 pm »
Hi everyone,
I had my MRI this morning and went over the film with Dr Brackman at House clinic. No regrowth [ thank god ] I was very nervous, but now feel great. The radiologist still has to take a look, but Dr Brackman does not expect him to find anything. I asked him what percentage of patients had a regrowth, and he said in about 10,000 cases it was less than 1%. He also said that in tumors my size 1.7cm and smaller the percentage was even lower. I also asked how sure they were that the whole tumor had been removed. He said they can tell by about 99% that they got it all. Surrounding " margins" would have to be checked which they cannot do as this would mean removing some of the facial nerve. Anyway I am good to go for 2 more years before I need to get another MRI. Dr Brackman was also pleased with my eye that is almost blinking all of the way and that it is symetrical with the other eye. He did not recommend accupuncter nor an EMG. He said it samples only about 5 of about 20,000 nerves, which provides no valuable information on regeneration. As I have reached the 1 year point I asked if I could expect any more improvement in face, he said yes it will regenerate for up to about 2 or 3 years. I told him my dizziness was pretty bad and he said I should be doing vestibular P/T with a therapist. I started my 2nd round of this 3 weeks ago at USC and do the exercises every other day at home. Unfortunately the dizziness is much worse after you have done these exercises Dr Brackman said this is normal, I don't do them if I am going to be driving or going out in the evening. To everyone that goes to House clinic, everyone was super efficient and I even got to see the Dr  30 minutes early. It was very reassuring to be able to basically get the results immediately. I hope this information helps, I personally would still like to do Accupuncture, but I think I will wait another year and see what happens on its own. The Dr also said it was very painful. I almost forgot he also said that if the tumor did regrow at any time, it would be treated with Gamma knife.
good luck and good health to everyone. Is anyone from CA going to the symposium?
Lainie.

littlemissrory

Re: My 1st post op MRI
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:53:59 pm »
Hi Lainie,

I was VERY happy for you and your continued progess! 

I thought I'd write a little since you mention thinking about acupuncture.  My acupuncturist told me I should wait 3-4 months post surgery to start, but after that it is fine.  Maybe it was the acupuncturist your surgeon saw/or that he's never been...but it doesn't hurt.  Yes you feel the TINIEST prick, but then you feel an energy that feels great.  I go for calming, energy, nausea and dizziness- and it really works!  For what I have done I lie on my back with a pillow under my head and knees, towels to cover me and she places the needles, then she puts a heat lamp over my stomach (I love that!) and sometimes she burns this stuff (I think it's called Moxie) around my head and it's very calming.  I'm typically asleep in ~3 minutes and wake up refreshed 40 minutes later when she comes back in.  It's one of the best things I can do for myself.

I'm fortunate that my Acupuncurist is also and Oriental Medical Doctor who used to be an Emergency Room Doc (yes western med) in China.  She is always honest when she thinks I should see the Neurologist or Neurotologist.  She helps immensely- I went prior to my diagnosis to help with the vestibular symptoms before the doctors figured out what was wrong.  I'm so glad to be going still. 

If you have any questions about AN's and acupuncture there is a thread we started awhile ago- quite a few of us go.  I'd be happy to answer any questions, just shoot me an e-mail.

Again, CONGRATS on your recovery!

Rory

Palace

• Palace
Re: My 1st post op MRI
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:57:01 pm »
 :D

Congratulations!  You really have come a long way.

Happy day,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness