Author Topic: Anyone heard of this?  (Read 2235 times)

rcaldw

Anyone heard of this?
« on: November 17, 2005, 03:35:52 pm »
I have a 2 cm AN that they say is already starting to press on the brain stem a bit. (at least that is what I understood them to say)  I have now consulted with 3 surgeons who said that my risk for initial facial weakness is between 30-40%. (Dr. Coker, Houston; Dr. Chang, Houston; Dr. Fukushima (his office manager) NC).

I would like to think that radiation would be a good choice for me (Stanford - Dr.Chang's office told me it is the route I should take), and I know that Dr. Coker handles radiosurgery as well.  It may be that my insurance company will only allow Dr. Coker to treat me (they turned me down once on Dr. Fukushima).

Anyway, Dr. Coker (Baylor in Houston) told me that they use a machine called... it sounded like Novilla.  Didn't require bolting anything to my head, but wearing a mask.  Not a one time treatment, but a many times treatment.  Said it was as accurate as Gamma knife which they also have.

Has anyone heard of this?

daylight

Re: Anyone heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:00:20 pm »
Hi rc,
I just had my 2cm AN that was also just starting to touch my brain stem treated with cyberknife yeasterday.  They use a face mask as you described and is ct guided and very accurate. I'm not an expert but I did a lot of research before making my choice.  The people of this support group have been very helpful.
As suggested to me by a welll informed member-- why should I get my head opened up for something that is not life threatening?  That made sense to me.  Yesterday after the procedure I left the hospital and had lunch at an out door cafe, instead of being in the ICU recovering from brain sergury.  I'm sure that the same angel that guided me will contact you also.
Sue B.
Sue B.

jamie

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 05:16:16 pm »
The machine you are referring to is the Novalis.

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/radonc/novalis.htm
CyberKnife radiosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute; 2.3 cm lower cranial nerve schwannoma

debora

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 05:50:09 pm »
rcaldw,

I don't want to sound like a broken record, if you go to Post Treatment and then to 7 weeks post op today I have a few different posts there.  I had the Novalis Unit used on me.  I had the Halo screwed to my head but had one dose of radiation, I believe if you have more than one dose they use a mask instead.  You may not have any symptoms that I have but maybe you want to read it anyways.  Good luck with your decision, and ask many questions.  Debora