Author Topic: 9 Months out and life still sucks.  (Read 8101 times)

mikechinnock

Re: 9 Months out and life still sucks.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 11:03:26 pm »
jw I understand. In December 1977 I had just obtained my Professional Engineers License. I was 34 and life looked good. In April of 1978 I was diagnosed with MS. It turned out to be a very large acoustic neuroma. 60 hours of surgery later I was in your shoes. At one point I was calculating how long it would take to hit the pavement in the parking lot if I jumped from the 5th floor of the hospital.

I never got back to my previous condition, or life style. The best I can say is life is a dynamic process. There is only the 'Now moment' and if you can find something in the 'Now' to interest you, you will that much ahead of the game. Life is also more enjoyable as a shared journey. You are fortunate to have a family to share the journey with.

It has been 30+ years since I began my surgeries. Today I still have the neurological deficits I had after those surgeries. I still have headaches, tinnitus, balance challenges, lost vision, lost hearing, facial paralysis and motor coordination issues. However I also have grand children, a girl friend, a service dog and many veterans I work with that keep me humble.

I am glad to hear things have improved. Like wine, cheese and women, we do just keep getting better with age. Namasté.

Mike

in the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:42:59 pm by mikechinnock »
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

It is what it is

Re: 9 Months out and life still sucks.
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 07:28:10 pm »
Mike, your story is an encouraging one.  Life goes on even though it is a new normal for many. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.