Author Topic: Gamma Knife - Facial Nerve Schwannoma - Dr. Slattery  (Read 2352 times)

JSC

Gamma Knife - Facial Nerve Schwannoma - Dr. Slattery
« on: December 24, 2007, 12:34:15 pm »
Just an update.  My 21 y/o daughter had GK on 12/19 performed by Dr. William Slattery, Dr. David Huang & Dr. Ching Chen at Good Samaritan in Los Angeles for a facial nerve schwannoma.  What an awesome team!  This was absolutely the best choice for us!  We are so grateful this opportunity was available for such a rare tumor.           I know it's very early to say, but as of right now, her life is totally normal and we thank God for that!

sgerrard

Re: Gamma Knife - Facial Nerve Schwannoma - Dr. Slattery
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 03:40:48 pm »
I had to hunt around to find your first post, almost 2 years ago now, which is way before my time on this site.

It sounds like you waited and watched a while, then decided on radiation treatment. It also sounds like you found a great team to do the treatment. For a 2 cm tumor radiation can make a lot of sense, I think you have made a good choice. I don't know much about facial nerve shwannomas, except that the wife of a guy at work had one. I do have the impression that facial nerves stand up to radiation quite well, so the outcome should be good.

Congratulations on making the decision and getting it done. There may be a few bumps in the road during the coming year, but I am sure it will work out well.  I wish all the best for you and your daughter.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

JSC

Re: Gamma Knife - Facial Nerve Schwannoma - Dr. Slattery
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 10:04:36 pm »
Thanks, Steve!  This is the best Christmas ever for our family!  She was sixteen when diagnosed with the facial nerve schwannoma and we've been watching and waiting since then.  With gradual growth over the years, Dr. Slattery said it was time to do something.  I say her life is totally normal, I guess because she is such an optimist.  In addition, her problems are minor in that they consist of a dry eye and daily Restasis drops takes care of that and the minor hearing loss, which is not an issue as far as she is concerned.  She hasn't had any dizzy spells or episodes she described as "heavy head" episodes since January 2003.  Five years ago, the doctor in our area misdiagnosed her with an acoustic neuroma and wanted to do surgery right away.  Dr. Slattery was an answer to my prayers when I asked God to help us find the right doctor.

Happy Holidays!

Jan