Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 76144 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2009, 09:30:31 am »
Okay, I'm crying now.  Happy tears.  Thank you.
Could we please get the scar onto the previous page ASAP?
Love you guys,
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2009, 09:40:20 am »
Stoneaxe,
I didn't know if you were referring to ste"roids" or hemm"roids" since we were talking about medicine and constipation all in one post. I thought.........why wouldn't he be willing to give up those? (the 2nd one)
Anyway, do be careful with both. Need to taper off the steroids as prescribed (very important) and don't strain as you don't want hemmroids. They hurt! Got those after delievering 11 pound 7 ounce baby and they hurt worse than the delivery! Take fiber like Metamucil in OJ and Colace to soften the stools. Eat some prunes!
Angie

joebloggs

« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2009, 09:43:23 am »
Scar is a goner to page 11! YAY!  Might post a noice pic of mine today seeing as I'm so proud of it and it's now disappearing beneath the growing hair!  I'm kind of sad.  People come round to see how I am and I say hey, want to see my scar (as if it's some kind of badge of honour and something to be proud of!) and they kind of look at it and go, and??  It's disappearing and it's gruesomeness is disappearing with it.  When it's not as obvious I just look like someone who can't walk properly and drank too much rather than someone who obviously has just had brain surgery a month ago.  How sad!!  Work the scar while you still can Nancy!  Work it baby, own it!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

andrea in slc

« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:15 am »
Nice scar Nancy! I had a matching one, but I got staples instead of nice stitches, so I had more of the Frankenstein thing working for me.  ;)  You are most definately rocking this! Whooo-hoooo! Now don't overdo, 'roids (ster) or not! I'm SO glad you are recovering as well as you are. Awesome!

Joebloggs, take pictures, quick! With pictures you have PROOF of how gruesome it looked, and you can work those for a few more months, trust me!  ;D

NancyMc

« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2009, 01:41:35 pm »
Just back from lunch with Dave's teenagers and showed them the scar.  Trying to get as much exposure as possible!  They were delighted with the workmanship but a little shocked, I do believe, at least the girl.  But they're off to a heavy metal concert in Boston, so I can only imagine what they'll see there.

elliemae

« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2009, 02:12:33 pm »
Nancy, just checking in after the long weekend break .... missed your picture, as it won't load on my work pc (!!!!!), but can't wait to see you on Sunday!

You certainly sound fabulous, but - take it easy!!  You'll need energy to keep up with the brunchies !!   ;D

Elaine

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2009, 07:39:28 pm »
Just back from lunch with Dave's teenagers and showed them the scar.  Trying to get as much exposure as possible!  They were delighted with the workmanship but a little shocked, I do believe, at least the girl.  But they're off to a heavy metal concert in Boston, so I can only imagine what they'll see there.

There's the answer....you should keep it shaved and put a stud or ring in each of the stitch holes....you'ld be huge at the heavy metal concerts.... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

NL

« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2009, 08:23:19 pm »
Could we please get the scar onto the previous page ASAP?

Nancy,

I saw this post at the top of this page and had to go back one to look!  Very impressive!  I agree with others who said you have to show it off while you can - pretty soon you'll have to carry around a wallet-sized pic to prove you had brain surgery.  ;)

I'm glad you're doing well and have so much energy (it can't ALL be the steroids  :)), but hope you're getting in your quota of naps, too. (I thought my surgery somehow converted me into an early morning person...until I finished the steroids!  :D)

Take care,

Nancy L

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

NancyMc

« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2009, 10:08:32 pm »
Well, I'm wide awake again.  I still have a lot of energy and trouble relaxing and sleeping.  Normally pretty hyper, but a little concerned that I'm not allowing myself to heal properly. 
I, too, believe I may have had some kind of personality change.  I feel so positive about everything, almost survival euphoria.  I am normally optimistic, but realistic and pragmatic as well.  This is almost like being given a second chance to start over and do it right.  It is probably the steroids.  I reacted a little like this before on prednisone.  Anyway, as long as I don't have to function on a daily basis other than maintaining my senses and personal hygiene, it will be fine to continue to be sleep deprived.
I am beginning to understand that my life has changed.  I used to climb ladders and jog around the uneven terrain, go out on the lake and do a lot of heavy lifting while living all by myself plus dog.  I may have to be more careful.   I feel slightly unbalanced toward my left, so tomorrow I'm going to put it to the test while my babysitter is still in place.
Do I understand correctly that I will be unable to drive at night for some period of time?  I'm not having trouble walking around the house in the mostly dark at this point, no more than I had before surgery.  The double vision is definitely gone.  I can spin around in a slow circle with ease.  Just curious about the new life ahead.
n

Lilan

« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2009, 06:53:16 am »
I feel so positive about everything, almost survival euphoria.

I am sure that's true, both literally and steroidally  :)

I also think it goes to show just how much of a psychological burden this is before it's dealt with. It's like you almost don't notice how much it's preying on your mind (almost literally) and sucking up so much of the oxygen of your life! Then once a decision is made and carried out, yielding a positive physical outcome as it did for you, you can focus on healing, being on an upward trend, and not wake up waiting for the other shoe to drop every day.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2009, 06:56:10 am »
So, Nancy -

when do your docs plan to wean you off the steroids?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2009, 07:36:44 am »
Extended plan, but down to 2 mg @ 4 per day as of yesterday noon, then tapering totally to halves by Monday and Tuesday, done around Wednesday, I think.

moe

« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2009, 08:16:03 am »
Just curious about the new life ahead.

Nancy,
Hard to say. Everyone is different in their recovery and AN journey. That's why it's nice to keep in touch.
You are doing so great post op. I would imagine you may just have some balance issues when you get tired/stressed, as most people report.
And your energy- can you email me some????? :D :D :D Yes, it's probably the drugs for now.
I need some of that hyper energy!!!!
But then I've always been a low energy person, still trying to have fun and go with the flow though :)
The docs said it looked like my AN  had been in there maybe 5-10 years too long, so I'm thinking that it was the culprit all along :-[ 0r partly.
Muareen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

cindyj

« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2009, 12:16:15 pm »
I had that euphoria thing too, Nancy.  And some grandiose thoughts of trying to save the world from all the injustices and miseries.  Reality set in eventually, but I'd still like to knock out a few miseries here and there, if I could!

Yes, you will need to be careful for awhile and not climb ladders just yet.  However, I am confident that there will not be much, if anything, that you were doing pre-surgery, that you won't be able to do again in time. 

I didn't drive at night for the first four weeks or so, but mainly because I had also read that I shouldn't.  When I finally did, it was not a problem...now walking around the bedroom at night without a light, is a different story :D

Try to be patient, ok!  You are doing great!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2009, 03:44:06 pm »
Wait, did I miss something?  How did you turn into "FatHead"?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.