Author Topic: its me again lol  (Read 2712 times)

wife4life

• well, it could have been worse!
its me again lol
« on: June 27, 2006, 07:21:45 am »
so today is my last day on the computer ....most of you know i don't have one at home..so i thought since i am at work and am pretty much useless today i would drop another line  :D
ok, so i have been pretty good this past week...but ummm i am starting to freak out :o
i can't believe i will be in surgery in 2 days...it is such a weird feeling...i am just wondering...i know people have told me about some things that i will really need when i get home...but can anyone give me another idea about what i should get...even the " just in case" items....
gosh this is so weird...who would have thought i would be having brain surgery...wow...ok...well i am sure you are all sick of hearing from me :-\  but like i said i might as well use my last day for a little fun...i hope to be back in 2 months...that is my goal...but we will see...
i guess that is about it for now...hope eveyone is doing well today
Kim
3cm leftsided an
surgery scheduled 6-29-06
charlotte nc
**complete resection of tumor, total left side facial paralysis,total hearing loss**

wife4life

• well, it could have been worse!
Re: its me again lol
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:55:07 am »
thanks for the info...yes, i will be at carolinas medical center in charlotte- i think i need a valium  lol....but i can't remember if i can still take them or not...lol
thanks for the prayers....i can always use them  :D
how is your husband doing?  what type of surgery did he have...i am having retro...is he pretty much back to normal now? whatever normal is? :o
3cm leftsided an
surgery scheduled 6-29-06
charlotte nc
**complete resection of tumor, total left side facial paralysis,total hearing loss**

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 09:18:35 am »
Good Luck on your upcoming surgery....I didn't really need any of the stuff on the previous list, what I needed most was quiet and a soft bed.  I had Translab 9 weeks ago.  I forced myself out the door as soon as possible.  I did use a pair of cheap walking sticks (like hikers use) for about a week after surgery until I was able to walk with little or no help.  My docs used disolvable steristrips to close the wounds and they dissolved after about 2 weeks of showers.  If your shower has a hand held shower head that is a life saver.  They don't want you to get the incisions wet for about a week and its really hard to do with a regular shower head.  If you can take baths that would be good I suppose.  I live in a motor home and the shower is a little cramped but with the hand held wand it wasn't too bad.

I had no facial problems afterwards so didn't have to deal with the eye problems many have had so can't help there.  Kleenex (which I believe was on the previous list is essential, as your nose will run and your eyes will water.  I felt I could have gone back to work (if I wasn't already retired:-) within 6 weeks, but you need to be aware that you will get tired really fast.  Its like a wave of weary that blankets you for a short time and then you can normally get back to what ever you were doing. 

Hope all goes well for you...I had a really positive experience and would do it again in a heartbeat.  Knowing I don't have that thing growing in my head anymore is worth the problems that were associated with the surgery.

God Bless!
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 09:29:54 am »
Kim,
No we aren't tired of hearing from you and we do understand how anxious you may feel. I didn't think I would ever get everything I needed to do done before surgery.you know housework,getting bills together and stuff like that...
I agree with Dale, a hand held shower head really helps.I bought gowns that buttoned to go over my bandage but I only had a bandage a couple of days.I used lip balm a lot as my lips stayed dry.
Most of all,let others take care of you for awhile and take it easy.
You are in our thoughts and prayers,
Lynn

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 09:47:13 am »
Kim you're so silly!  You've hardly posted!!

I agree with the hand held shower head
shower chair or outside lawn chair
baby shampoo
soup, popsicles for some reason I craved those :o)
eye drops at least some refresh ones
I used a walker for a while you can rent one of just use that big strapping husband of yours!  Tell him I said he needs to be the gentlman and assit you !  Heck a big hunk beats a walker anyday!!  :-*

Know we're with you in thoughts and prayers!

matti

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 12:33:31 pm »
Hi Kim, 

I found the small, hand held battery operated fans to be quite helpful. You might feel quite warm after surgery and while at home.

Keeping you in my prayers and will be looking for updates through Michelle.

Big hugs to you,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 01:50:52 pm »
kim,

you ARE going to do great! sending huggles and wishes and good thoughts and amethyst vibes to help you get through the nerves.... I have total faith! I hope you do too! :)

Hang in there! Almost a done deal!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"