Author Topic: My ear "sucked" back in!  (Read 4444 times)

Yvette

• Yvette
My ear "sucked" back in!
« on: January 11, 2008, 03:53:33 pm »
Hey all, just thought I'd post that my dumbo ear has steadily gone back to where it was pre op. For a gal not wanting her earrings to point in different directions, this was important to me. Also my sunglasses no longer tip lopsided since the ear has moved back into proper place. This has all taken almost a year; glad I didn't go through with having the ear plasty doc fix it.

Take care, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

OMG16

Re: My ear "sucked" back in!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:22:47 pm »
I think that is great!  I was wondering though since my son has a pitiutary tumor does this sort of thing happen often?  I haven't come acrossed any other posts like this.  I am just reading all of the archives now to get to know everyone.  I must say you all are so inspirational and often make me laugh out loud by your amazing senses of humor!  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:18:19 pm »
Hey 16, it's the swelling I guess that causes the dumbo ear. It was just amazing to think that it would take a whole year for the swelling to go away! Incredible. Ear plasty correction wasn't very expensive and they do it right in the office, so I almost went through with it. No need now thank goodness. Take care,
Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

OMG16

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:28:55 am »
Yvette thank you for saving me all the reading.  Wow a whole year I've heard about 6 months for swelling but a year.  I learn so much here and I will be ready if any of my friends or family end up with an AN.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

danijake

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 04:22:22 pm »
Only 6 more months to go then!!! I hope. It's very noticeable. That's funny, my friend called me Dumbo after the surgery and I didn't understand why until my son saw me. He asked , "what's wrong with your ear, momma?" I looked in the mirror and smacked the s*#* out of him!!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 05:43:43 pm »
I recently had my hair cut short - & I realize my right ear sticks out alot more than the left - STILL !!!!  19 months post op!!
  It's at least 1/2 inch out farther than the left.  Shouldn't it have gone in by now??   I wonder if the recent surgery had anything
to do with it.   I hadn't noticed it before, but my hair was longer.....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

gclark

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:23:17 pm »
Hate to ask but does anyone know what they really do with your ear during surgery?  Do they tape it to our faces?  Mine is so sore after 4 weeks, when does that go away?

Gail

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 01:30:55 pm »
My doc told me (when I was complaining about my ear not being reattached nicely) that they fold it over. Gross sounding. My ear was never sore, but itched and felt numb in spots. Still does, and I'm a year and two months post op.
Yvette

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 06:18:18 am »
My ear ached horribly for about a month after surgery ... I don't know what kind of ear I have out of
the deal... the top is kinda pushed in closer to my head and I have had to bend arm of glasses to get
my glasses to stay in right position over eyes...it is also a bit lower on head than left ear but my hair
covers it so is not noticeable to anyone but me
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

danijake

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:46:09 pm »
Correction on feb 11 post. I had just had surgery and couldn't have been "all there". I didn't smack my son, I smacked my friend!!! :P

satman

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 11:48:40 am »
i STILL CAN'T HEAR OUT OF IT,ONE WOULD THINK THE BIGGER THE BETTER.SERIOUSLY THOUGH MY EAR HURT FOR 11 MONTHS,I CAN NOW RUB THE BACK OF IT,MADE SHAMPOO FUN.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 03:14:08 pm »
Hi ALL,
I guess I still have a ways to go before my L ear is back in it's proper place, huh?  My friend's grandson made a sweet observation when I mentioned that it 'sticks out' more than the other.  He said, "at least they put it back on facing the right direction!"  He does have a point.  I do have lots to be thankful for!!

;)
Annette
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07
Surgery date: 1/24/08
Dr. Doug Mattox & Dr. Jeff Olson
Emory University Hosp. - Atlanta

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 06:47:27 am »
aren't kids great  :)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 09:02:35 am »
Annette, what a hoot! I'll remember that one. haha I am glad it's facing the right way.

Yvette