Author Topic: Chris- new changes  (Read 3741 times)

chrissmom

Chris- new changes
« on: June 26, 2006, 06:45:47 pm »
I need some help. Maybe I'm noticing or looking too closely and I worry too much.  Chris experienced what I thought might be a CSF leak thru the sutures and I took him back to the Emergency Room.  The neurosurgeon reinforced the stitches but didn't think it was a leak but just to be sure, I wanted it taken care of.  That was a scare.  He has had bouts of sweating but only in the head region.  He is not running a fever.  Is this something any of you have experienced ?  I read where Karla had bouts of sweating. He had some of this sweating after the shunt surgery too.

matti

Re: Chris- new changes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 07:50:59 pm »
I too had bouts of sweating while in the hospital and at home. I also did not have a fever. I had the thermostat turned so low, the nurses complained to my doctor. Kept wondering why the nurses were so scarce :(    Guess I was lucky I had a private room

I found those little hand held battery operated fans extremely helpful.   I don't think you are worrying too much, Chris has been through quite alot. I called my doctor numerous times when I got home from the hospital, I had never had brain surgery and every symptom is scary.

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 08:29:53 pm »
I was always hot and whinning. I too kept my hospital room and house so cold that everyone had chattering teeth.  I hate to be hot (and I live in FL  LOL) .  It's always better to call and ask if you're not sure.  I know I did my first few months!

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 09:49:20 pm »
Before my tumor resection (5cm x 5cm) I had a shunt installed in my head for hydrocephalus - this was the first surgery. A day after the shunt surgery, it had somehow become dislodged. I guess I had become very ill and was quite delirious. I remember very little of this episode aside from some projectile vomiting and a rushed, late night CAT scan before they put me back in surgery for a reinstall. So they had to operate on me twice for the shunt before it worked the way it was supposed to. No CSF leaks though.......thankfully!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 01:52:47 pm »
chrismom, are they contemplating a head CT to take a peak?  Sending continued huggles to you and please tell Chris we want his sorry butt out of bed sooner than later! ;) :)   

(truly wishing him well!)

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

chrissmom

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 02:17:45 pm »
When we went to the emergency room they took another CT SCan, x-ray and blood test.  They will do more tests before surgery stage II. 

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 03:56:41 pm »
I had one month between my shunt surgeries and the tumor resection.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 05:26:48 pm »
I am sending my best wishes to Chris and his family and hoping that all this STUFF will be over soon and it will be just an unpleasant memory before long, and this will be end up being just another interesting story to tell his grandkids about.  I am hoping, in a quiet moment for Chris, that he can "feel the love" and the collective hug that all of us are sending his way. Small comfort when all this scary stuff is going on,perhaps,  but hoping that even a small comfort will do him and you (his family) some good.  All very "New Age-y", but hey, whatever works, right??  Love and slurpy kisses from COMPLETE BUT LOVING STRANGERS!!!  tee hee ;D ;D :-*
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 08:28:34 pm »
Chris,

Cheering you on here from Boston!  Your mom has been fabulous in keeping us updated on you and sending you MAJOR huggles for a speedy recovery! Hang in there!

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"