Author Topic: Hearing Preservation  (Read 2434 times)

Tbanis2463

Hearing Preservation
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:09:22 pm »
I spoke to different professionals about the likelihood to preserve hearing.  You could tell me whether you agree or disagree with this.  Would it be fair to say that the ability to preserve hearing or even possibly improving hearing depends on the location of the AN tumor and how it responds to the radiation treatment because what I gather is that everyone responds differently to treatment. 

Is there anything personally that I can do to tilt the odds in my favor - i.e. diet, vitamin supplements, etc.?

PaulW

Re: Hearing Preservation
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:13:57 pm »
There is some research indicating that the amount of radiation to the cochlear may impact hearing outcomes..
Gamma knife and Cyberknife appear to be the most commonly used machines for Stereotactic Radiosurgery.
The latest machines and best operators are probably the most experienced at reducing the cochlear dose.

Cyberknife is better at reducing the Maximum dose within the tumour.. Typically this will be 16.25Gy versus 26Gy for Gammaknife
It is thought that if your hearing nerve passes through the middle of the tumour that it may have consequences..

Despite all of this, there is very little difference in results between the latest Gamma Knife, Single session Cyberknife, or multi session Cyberknife. The best machines with the best operators seem to be getting the best results
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Hearing Preservation
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 04:40:10 am »
Hi Tbanis,

Paul has provided good info. I would also like to add that there is some documented info regarding the "fractionation" of radation may also help with hearing preservation vs. single delivery as it delivers the radiation spread out over number of days/doses vs. single.  There are papers/data you can research on the WWW that references this if you do a "Search" on "fractionated stereotactic radiation".

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"