Author Topic: Just back from CK at Beth Israel, Boston  (Read 3497 times)

Sheryl

Just back from CK at Beth Israel, Boston
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:45:27 pm »
Just a quick note - I have not done much posting but did want to let everyone know how wonderful the folks are at the Beth Israel in Boston. Their knowledge, friendliness, and expertise put us completely at ease.  My husband had a benign meningioma surgically removed in Florida 2-1/2 years ago and found out last November, 2006, that it showed signs of regrowth.  After many, many months of research and consults, he decided on CK at the Beth Israel which was done today in one application.  It was a piece of cake - easier than the CT scan and MRI they had to do ahead of time last week!!  Actually one of the side effects have already kicked in and he's fast asleep in our Lazy Boy lounger and will probably miss the Patriot's kick off.  Now we do have to hope that the treatment will work on this slowly growing meningioma (about 1 mm/month) without much swelling or scar tissue.  The stats were 83% chance of growth control which we considered pretty good rather than having another craniotomy.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

sgerrard

Re: Just back from CK at Beth Israel, Boston
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:11:52 am »
Having CT is almost fun, isn't it? I have kept my mask and am making Halloween plans already.

I bet the control percent outlook is higher than 83%; for many ANs it is up around 98%. It may be lower for a mengioma, but it is a very well aimed zap, so it is bound to slow it way down. I think Beth Israel is where Phyl had her CK.

So let him sleep on the lazy boy, and maybe nudge him awake for the big pass play in the last quarter.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Sheryl

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 11:47:19 am »
Steve - thanks for your note.  CyberKnife was unbelievable - something out of "Twilight Zone" or "Star Wars" - the techs let me in the console room and explained quite a bit of what was going on.  Ironically I am waiting and watching for 6-1/2 years, on a 9th cranial nerve schwannoma so told them they may see me in the future.  The equipment is getting so popular that two more Boston hospitals are getting theirs within the next year. 

Phyl and I met this summer when she took a "mental health day" and visited us on Cape Cod (where we live for the summer) with her new hubby.  She's been a great help along with many on this board and the CyberKnife board.  Letting hubby sleep as much as possible because when he's up, the Decadron kicks in and he's "hyper".  Hope you are doing well.
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 10:24:37 pm »
Oops, a small correction, I meant that CK is almost fun, not CT. Like you said, the scanning is a bigger deal than the CK itself, especially with that iodine thing, although fortunately I had no reaction to it at all. Lying on the CK table, you can open your eyes and peak through the mesh mask. Mostly I just saw the video camera on the ceiling, but now and then I would see the giant cyclops head having an up close look at my forehead. Yow!

Six and half years is a long watch and wait, maybe you will just keep waiting? If not, at least know you know the scoop on CK, so if the time comes, you will be ready. So far I am doing fine after mine.

Steve

linnilue

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 07:34:06 pm »
Having CT is almost fun, isn't it? I have kept my mask and am making Halloween plans already.

I bet the control percent outlook is higher than 83%; for many ANs it is up around 98%. It may be lower for a mengioma, but it is a very well aimed zap, so it is bound to slow it way down. I think Beth Israel is where Phyl had her CK.

So let him sleep on the lazy boy, and maybe nudge him awake for the big pass play in the last quarter.

Steve

Steve, You're scaring me here.  I hate scarey movies and scarey looking masks!!!  Please wait 'til Halloween please, I need to be prepared for an AN mask !!!!!  Maybe we should all post our pics on Halloween night with our head frames on.  Now that would be really scarey.  How about it guys???  Holly 
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 01:25:00 am »
Holly, I'm game. We can have a scary AN picture contest, with masks and head frames and surgery scars. We'll be the scariest forum on the Internet. Trick or Treat. Steve

Sheryl

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 10:14:29 am »
WOW - what a great idea!! May have to somehow move this thread so more people can get in on the idea as the subject line is misleading at this point.  I'm not sure I'd answer the door for the "trick or treaters" with it on as they'd surely run away and I'd be left with all the goodies - hhmm??   ;)
Sheryl