Author Topic: New Site User - Don Winslow with Radiosurgery question  (Read 3267 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
New Site User - Don Winslow with Radiosurgery question
« on: September 01, 2007, 07:40:07 pm »
hi all.... this was in the "WTT List" thread in AN Issues and may have been lost in the shuffle, so I'm moving this post here in hopes others help me welcome Don and provide some answers to his questions.  Boppie, thank you for your keen eye!  :-*
Phyl

================================================

Don Winslow

Re: ANA WTT (Willing-to-Talk) List available to newbies
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 04:46:49 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all.  I am an oldie (age 77) who has not corresponded in several years but I have a question.  I had radio surgery on my 9 mm AN several years ago and learned to live with minor dizzines.  But during the past moinths, I have experienced what I call "a head full of wet sawdust" whose symptoms are dullness, difficulty in reasoning, depression, need to sleep, etc.  No pain.   
     The symptoms are similar to those of Meniere's disease but that was ruled out by my doctors at Mayo-Jacksonville. They told me several years ago that they couldn't help me with the symptoms.  Do others have these symptoms?  If so, how do they deal with them? 

Thanks, Don Winslow
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Re: New Site User - Don Winslow with Radiosurgery question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 04:19:56 pm »
Don,

..."dullness, difficulty in reasoning, depression, need to sleep, etc.  No pain."

Actually it sound like is that you may be experiencing post treatment depression (similar to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).  People react differently to their AN diagnosis and treatment.  Have you thought of going to counseling?

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 04:30:02 pm »
Don,

as GM suggested, maybe you are dealing with depression.  I had retrosigmoid surgery on 5/31/07 and some days I have all the symptoms you are describing - other days I feel like I could conquer the world.  I find that sometimes it just depends on what else I am dealing with on a specific day - misbehaving children, car needing repairs, plumbing issues requiring a plumber, etc.  All I can say is hang in there, and if the "bad days" start to outnumer the good, maybe you should look into treatments for depression.

Best of luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

linnilue

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:54:32 pm »
Well, I think that maybe another opinion at Gainesville (which is close to Jacksonville) would be a good idea.  But I feel differently than the others here.  Maybe the doctors could give you a bit of medication that is normaly used in these situations temporarily such as ativan or valium.  They do help if your symptoms have to do with the AN and also trying them might also rule out that the AN is not the problem and they should look further for a different diagnosis as others have suggested.  Good Luck.
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

ceeceek

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 11:16:03 am »
I also agree, you should get checked again......although the symptoms could stem from a variety of things it really could be physical and not psychological....have your blood work done etc. Better safe than sorry and if everything comes back normal then perhaps they will then conclude to depression.....but take no chances...
See if we can get Lorenzo to chime in here. I know he suffers from similar experience.
Ceecee
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »
Gosh Don, I'm sorry you are experiencing this.  I'm going to weigh into the mix a really bizarre theory..so take this with a grain of salt (or saw dust in your case). I suspect that other's are right in that you might have depression.  However, do you also suffer from sinus congestion and/or allergies?  The reason I ask is that I had a fullness and clogged sinuses- only to be diagnosed with the AN. (Ironically, I still have congestion, but am going to try the Stanford Sinus center to get it cleared up as my local ENT suggest either surgery for a deviated septum or a life time supply of Musinex D).  I do know that if your sinuses aren't clear, they can lead to grogginess, ect...

However, my girlfriend thought she had a bad case of sinuses- turns out she really was depressed- specifically Bi polar 2 ( a recent form of depression that has only been identified in the last 6 years) . 

Either way you should really pursue this and get it diagnosed.  Please keep us updated on your progress. Take care of yourself- Annie

Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys