Author Topic: Questions for ENT if MRI is clear  (Read 3265 times)

PJ

Questions for ENT if MRI is clear
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:04:36 pm »
So, I get my MRI results tomorrow.  If the doc tells me there is nothing showing on my MRI (which is what I hope), is there anything I can ask him to ensure there is nothing else wrong.  Honestly, I'm not sure what else it could be.  I understand it will turn from a potential AN problem to just a hearing problem, but, I have no family history of hearing loss and my hearing loss isn't due to traumatic stress.

Just curious if anyone has any information from past experience.  Thanks guys.

Patrick

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Questions for ENT if MRI is clear
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:11:43 pm »
Patrick -

while I'm nowhere near being an expert on this, I do know that people often lose their hearing for absolutely no reason at all.

I found this out from the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity.com) where I am a member.  There are lots of people there who suddenly, without explanation, lost hearing in one or both ears - without a family history.  I'm not sure why this is - or what causes it. 

I met a man a few months ago @ a Cochlear event (he's a BAHA candidate) who had unexplained hearing loss.  It happened suddenly one day and no doctor has been able to tell him why.

If your MRI shows you don't have AN, to me the biggest question is - can the doctor tell you what is causing your hearing loss.

Good luck tomorrow - and please keep us posted.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Questions for ENT if MRI is clear
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:53 pm »
Patrick ~

Good luck tomorrow!

Assuming the MRI doesn't indicate an acoustic neuroma or any other kind of tumor, an ENT should be able to give you some idea of where to look for the cause of your hearing loss.  As Jan noted, the human body is extremely complex and, to be kind about it, doctors are not magicians.  Occasionally, we just have to deal with the ramifications of some part of our body ceasing to function normally and give up trying to determine why it stopped functioning.  It may be frustrating but, sometimes, it just happens.  Please let us know the MRI result.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.