Author Topic: Preventing further synkinesis  (Read 3168 times)

Darlene

Preventing further synkinesis
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:54:12 am »
I am 3 months out of surgery, when I woke up my face was totally paralyzed on AN side and  I have seen considerable improvement since then.  I started facial therapy three weeks ago in an effort to prevent synkenisis as my face gets back to (hopefully ) normal,  I went back to therapist today and when I did the eye closing exercise he said he saw the beginning of synkenisis and he said to really do those exercises very carefully. He did tell me once you get synkinesis there is no way to correct it.   My question is has anyone done the exercises and halted the synkensis? 

We also had an interesting conversation about my inability to scrunch my nose, without my eyebrows moving on the unaffected side of my face.  The therapist said he believes people should come to see him before they have treatment so he could get a baseline on their facial movement.  He did say he was going to discuss that idea with my surgeon in an effort to help other patients.  Did anyone have that type of baseline exam prior to treatment? 

I have to say I was initially annoyed having to drive almost two hours to see this therapist, but am very hopeful that maybe it will prove helpful.    Take care, Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!

MissMolly

Re: Preventing further synkinesis
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 10:15:02 pm »
Hey Darlene,

I've been seeing the facial paralysis physical therapist since less than a month after my surgery.  My paralysis actually became worse in the days following surgery so my surgeon made the recommendation.  I found it helped very much in getting back both basic movement (i.e. smiling, closing my eye).  I was very religious about doing the exercises.  Actually, they felt really good.  I found that it was worth the hour and a half drive into Boston. 

It appears that I have avoided the synkenisis.  Particularly since I started so soon after surgery. 

are you doing myo fascia release?  (sp)

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Darlene

Re: Preventing further synkinesis
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:15:57 pm »
Molly,

I am not doing myo facial release.  what exactly is it?   I have mostly been doing exercises such as raising eyebrows, shutting eyes, pursing lips, etc.  I have been very diligent about doing it, but would be interested in hearing what you are doing.   

Thanks,
Darlene
DX: 12/6/08
1.4cm intracanicular -Middle Fossa Surgery on 7/1/09 @ NYU. Hearing preserved and speech discrimination has actually gotten better!!   Temporary Facial Paralysis- showing improvement.  1yr post-op hearing test- same 96% speech recognition- yeah!